1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Knitting

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amyclare, May 31, 2011.

1. I'm thinking of starting a knitting club with KS2 children. I'm a good knitter and have a copy of 'Children Learn to Knit' by Lucinda Guy which I'm planning to use.

Wondered if anyone has taught knitting in schools before and what advice you might have? Thanks.

2. I'm thinking of starting a knitting club with KS2 children. I'm a good knitter and have a copy of 'Children Learn to Knit' by Lucinda Guy which I'm planning to use.

Wondered if anyone has taught knitting in schools before and what advice you might have? Thanks.

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hello,
    I introduced knitting and crochet during golden time at my school and managed to include a very keen TA who was willing to help. I decided to keep the group small and start with the older children. We run golden time activities in blocks which is helpful so we know how long we'll have the children for - a bit like with your club.
    After one block I asked if any of the older children would like to continue as mentors to the new knitters/crocheters. This was great as it is much easier for someone to sit with each child if possible. We also asked any keen mums, nans, aunties (nothing against dads, grandads or uncles but didn't get any takers!) if they could help and we did get a few. Also had loads of wool and spare needles that were donated.
    We started with finger knitting - I taught myself using you tube and found that this was a good way of introducing knitting or crocheting with children as you can pause and rewind if necessary. I did consider filming myself or someone else but found the available clips were fine.
    I found that the children needed to have their won set of needles which they could take home with them and as we had plenty this was ok.
    Hope that gives you some ideas ...
    Carrie [​IMG]