1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

knitting question - what's the loopy stitch called and how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon63, Dec 11, 2010.

1. I want to knit a tea cosy which has lots of loops in the knit. I've seen this type of knitting but I don't know what it's called and because I don't know what its called I can google how to do it. It looks like every stitch a bit of wool has been pulled away to make a loop and you end up with hundreds of loops of wool sticking out from the knitting. I'm sorry this description is probably vague and I can't find a picture to show you. Any ideas?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Google is your friend. Type in 'loop stitch tea cosy' and you get 23,000 choices including free patterns.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

"Using the wool double, insert the needle as for plain and knit one stitch,
    keep it on the right-hand needle, but do not slip the stitch off the left-hand
    needle; pass the wool to the front (as for purl) and hold under thumb
    (as illustration shows), then back between the needles; knit into the
    same stitch and slip off; pass the first stitch over the second."

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm on a roll now....this site is either brilliant or hilarious...
    http://www.chemknits.com/2010/10/search-for-tea-cozy-knitting-patterns.html

It has tea cosy patterns in various categories including "inanimate objects" (I like the pattern for a chocolate cake tea cosy complete with icing and a cherry on top), "animals/other life forms" (lizzie the cow tea cosy is just like a stuffed toy apparently), "design" (the 1937 tea cosy has a unique sillouhette) and "miscellaneous" (the baby hat tea cosy is rather sweet).
    Who knew there were so many ways to knit a tea cosy?

7. Most of the loopy effects are actually created by the wool you use, take a trip to Hobbycraft and I'm sure you'll find what you need.

8. I have no idea what the stitch is called, but I can still do it. You loop the wool around your thumb, then do a stitch to fix it, and so on and so on.

9. Whilst we are talking tea cosys - if anyone has a pattern to do one like this (as I have lost mine) I would be most indepted. My original pattern was from my Great Gran, so probably from the 1920s.
    (the colours on this one are awful, but it the pattern I mean)
    [​IMG]

10. The one you show CQ is crochet and the pattern is here

http://knitshearbliss.typepad.com/knit_shear_bliss/patterns/index.html

This one looks a bit similar and is knitted
    http://teabythesea.blogspot.com/2008/04/grannies-traditional-tea-cozy.html

11. Apolgies, no it's not, but it does require some crochet for the top bit

12. Thanks, suz.
    The second one you posted is more or less the pattern I had.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    My tea pot will soon be pretty again [​IMG]

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The picture is one from the site I linked to and the pattern is there:
    http://knitshearbliss.typepad.com/knit_shear_bliss/patterns/index.html

14. Aah, knitting heaven. Thank you for your replies - I have now knitted a cat tea cosy complete with ears and a tail :)

15. I learnt how to loop by searching on you tube. I have since knitted a loopy rug with chopped up tshirts. Much more fun than school work. My rug is on ravelry where I am 'Weeg'.

16. Another loopy pattern is to cast on any multiple of 7 and work in four rows.
    First row. knit 7, slip 7 with wool carried loosely at front, knit 7 and repeat to end, carrying the wool at front every 7 sts.
    Next row, purl.
    Next row as first
    Last row. Purl 3 and pick up carried threads at front of work onto needle and make loop to catch, passing the loop over. Purl one and pass this sticth over the last to secure. then knit 13 and repeat.
    You can vary the 7 carried stitches intermittedly in the next 4 rows or keep them the same depending on the effect you want.

You can do it on 5 repeats too, making a smaller loop effect .