1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Knitting experts please! (Or experienced enthusiasts!)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chocolatebox9, May 13, 2011.

1. A pattern should give the dimensions of the finished hat. Measure your head and see if it will be git enough.
    Changing the tension to fit the wool you've got is a complicated procedure best left to experts.

2. I'm so sorry, what an awful typo.
    I didn't mean to imply you are a git!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The best pattern I've found starts on 3.75mm needles for the rib, then changes to 4mm for the rest.

What effect does this have? (Does it tighten the rib up?)

I suppose, actually, I can make a start, and if the size is way out, I can start again!

4. lilachardy

It's a fair comment, some days!

5. Yes, it tightens it.

6. lilachardy

So, given that I've not got the smaller needles (and it's only very slightly smaller), and a big head, might it turn out ok for me?

7. I would get the smaller needles for the rib otherwise it will be baggy around the brim.

8. lilachardy

Ok, thanks.

Or keep searching for a pattern that uses 4mm needles throughout!

9. I think the rib is usually knitted with smaller needles.
    You don't want it to fall down over your nose.

10. lilachardy

Ok. It's the only pattern I can find that MOSTLY uses 4mm needles... I think it's time to give in and go needle shopping!

Where's best?

11. rib is indeed usually done on a size smaller needles, and even then it looks 'looser' than the main part.
    Erm, i don't know where you are, but I know John Lewis stock knitting stuff online.
    I know there is a local shop to me that does all this kind of stuff but it's a bit random what you get

12. laughinghens.com is a good knitting site that I've used before, and knitty.com can be a good source for free patterns.

13. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

Doesn't the pattern give you a tension guide? It's a pain but you need to knit a square and check how you work comes out. You can adjust the "size" of pattern you knit to give you the correct measurements. I've got quite tight knitting but if I use bigger needles it always feels to loose to me so I knit one or two sizes up eg on a jumper I knit the 38" chest to get 34-36".
    Kneedles are expensive so I wouldn't ruch to buy them.
    Good luck.

14. lilachardy

No, there is no tension guide.

I do now have the 3.75mm needles.
    How does a quarter of a millimetre make so much difference, I wonder.
    It's less than 1mm difference in their circumferences!

15. It doesn't just depend on the size of the needles or the wool you use, but also on the tension of your own knitting. Are you a loose or a tight knitter?
    Are you knitting in two pieces or in a round? If you are knitting in a round, you could use a rounded needle (I have no idea what you call these in English, I will post a picture) and then it is easier to "try" the piece of knitting around your head before you have knitted so much as for it to be a big nightmare to unravel it all and start again.
    [​IMG]
    You also might like to give gorgy a holler or a PM - she is our resident expert and sent me a lovely hat pattern recently (not the kind of hat you are looking for, I fear).

16. lilachardy

I know about tension etc, yes... I meant the difference between 3.75mm needles for the rib and 4mm needles for the rest of the hat!

I'm not knitting in the round - the pattern I've got is a single piece with a seam down the back. Maybe next time...

Thanks!

17. Try to think of it this way.
    Knit a square of garter stitch.
    A square of rib.
    And a square of stocking stitch.
    With the same number of stitches. Then measure!
    See the difference?

18. lilachardy

No, I know about that...
    it's the difference between using 4mm needles and 3.75mm needles!

19. The way to avoid a baggy rim of hat is to do a turned hem.
    Knit the number of rows you want for the hem, then do a purl row on the right side, and repeat the number of rows you initially did again. Then on right side knit into bottom of hem at the back into the back of your knit row (picking up the stitches by hooking them onto the needle) to double the rim folding over onto itself, creating a double layer of knit, which turns on the purl row, making the bottom of the garment.
    Cant explain it better than that. But you may get what I mean.