1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Knife skills

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Mar 4, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Highly engaging and inspiring. Excellent indeed.
    When in Brighton recently we went into his new Recipease cafe for breakfast. As well as excellent cafe style food, they do cookery lessons for adults or kids - when we were there a load of children were being taught to make fresh pasta and cook a simple fresh tomato and basil sauce to serve with it which they cooked and ate, and had some to take home with as well. Again, inspiring to watch while we were tucking into our breakfasts!
    Whatever anyone thinks of Jamie (yes, he is self-promoting, but why shouldn't he be?) - his heart is in the right place and he's done bloody well. An extremely clever bloke.
    Although much of the rest of this current school programme has me shouting at the telly - he should stick to food and leave schools alone, like everyone else who knows little about the subject.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I agree with all you've said Nick, he's not a great chef, my opinion only, but he is hugely inspiring to younger people.
    Mind you, I'd like to see him repeat that lesson to a class of 28, in the room for 1 hour(or thereabouts) and the **** knives most food rooms have!!

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Agreed!

He's not a great chef, but he's a very good one, and I think he's done more to get a whole genaration of younger people into the kitchen and cooking than anyone else, ever. I know she has her fans, but Delia's way of having everything nicely chopped into bowls (along with everyone else of her era) scared a lot of people away, especially blokes.
    Oliver's bish-bash-bosh, chop it up, slam it all in an oven tray and whack it on the oven method was inspiring for me, at least, when I was a young 20-something (I'm the same age as Oliver, almost to the date!), not long out of university but with suddenly a bit of cash to spend on nice ingredients and an interest at furthering my repertoire beyond spag bol, curries and stir-fries.
    I've not bought a book of his in ages, as I suspect I'm not his target audience any more but his early books at least, all worked and probably taught me a great deal.
    Fair play to him. To begrudge him financial success along with it all, as some seem to, is probably sour grapes. He's certainly never sold out the extent that Gordon Ramsay seems to have (who I predict will be bankrupt within a couple of years).

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'l tell you whose knife skills really bother me: Nigella's. Will someone please teach that woman to hold a knife properly? I find myself yelling at the telly...

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Yep, you're right. Never noticed it before, but having just watched a clip of her, she does indeed.

8. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I suspect you may have been distracted from her knife skills by her other...attributes! [​IMG]

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Oddly, I find the way Nigella chops rather restful. Now that I think about it my Mum chops like that. Probably why. Nothing more soothing than sitting in Mum's kitchen chatting while she prepares food.
    Wouldn't dream of chopping like that myself, though.

11. IS he though?
    I am not sure he has got kids cooking or even doing much at all!
    I do agree his heart is in the right place and he certainly is no giver-upper, but I am not at all sure he has had such a great effect as is often made out, tbh.

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

In my experience of teaching Food, yes he has. Many of the kids in school want to cook like he does. CQ, unless you teach Food Tech, Catering or H.E. Food and Nutrition or any of the many ways cookery is taught these days, you won't have experienced the requests to cook like Jamie. I just wish he'd do more of then actual prep on camera so they had a better idea of the skills involved.

13. It was a general question. I think most of us here are NOT Food Tech teachers!
    I am still not entirely convinced, but I'll take your word for it.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I can assure you it's true, in my experience!

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

He's also inspired a great deal of blokes, particularly of my generation, as I mentioned above. Blokes who were in their twenties during the late-nineties or so who'd been put off by Delia's soulless 'here's all the veg my crew chopped earlier' style and functional, emotionless cookery.

16. OI - there was nothing soulless and emotionaless about Delia. She was my guru!
    As if Jamie chops his own veg for his shows! He even has that gardener bloke wandering around with a wheelbarrow!

17. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Well yes, that gardener bloke does make a mockery of his 'you can grow your own' argument.
    But...on his early shows at least, he was always there, smashing and chopping away; crushing a garlic clove with the flat side of his knife; ripping herbs up, inhaling deeply and throwing them in a mortar before bashing away whilst gurning inanely at the camera - it felt like being round a mate's house watching him cook for you. A million miles away from seeing Delia (unfair to single her out perhaps - everyone did it), with her myriad little dishes with carefully measured out and chopped ingredients all conveniently to hand. Maybe it's a gender thing, but seeing that level of organisation can seem terrifying to a young bloke. Even though no-one really cooks like that, it felt as if that was what you had to do.
    Not to mention he had a certain image appeal, with all the trendy London scootering around, trendy clothes, loud indie music and all the mockney banter with his mates and the butcher/market tradesmen. Watching Delia felt like hanging around with your mum in comparison - nice and all that, but you wouldn't want to do it on a Friday night.

18. LOL - whereas I could never stand to watch Jamie. All the scootering around, the faux "hey mate" when he got to the market or the deli, the CHAOS in the kitchen, the food flying around and bits landing on the floor, all that "delish" and...oh no, I can't go on, it just makes me shudder and get annoyed.
    [​IMG]

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I totally agree CQ, JO has never appealed to me or impressed me, however I have to like his enthusiasm and the way he has inspired many kids to cook.

20. I am STILL not convinced he has.