1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kiwi fruit allergy

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by inky, May 16, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Allergic to kiwi fruit?
    I thought my allergy was something to joke about but apparently it's often linked with allergy to latex, so make sure you let your doctor know before you have any procedure done.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sugical procedure, that is.

3. Hi Inky

I have an allergy to Kiwi but luckily no allergy to latex. I would never have put the two together as linked.
    Thanks for letting me know.

4. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Kiwi allergy is pretty common - linked to grass and certain pollen allergies

DD1 has Kiwi allergy but is not allergic to latex

5. I cannot imagine what kiwi and latex have in common! But they're both quite common allergies.

6. And bananas fall into the same allergy group!

7. Oooh, that's interesting Inky. I don't think I reacted to Kiwi fruit when I had it the other day, but my dentist did ask me (with some deep concern) a few years ago if I had an allergy to Latex.
    Poor young thing probably didn't realise bright red chest and neck-flushing was something lots of middle-aged menopausal women get. [​IMG]

8. am allergic to kiwi, banana skins and latex.[​IMG]

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

No. Not eating kiwi isn't such a huge sacrifice in the wider acheme of things.

10. I can't eat raw pineapple, unripe bananas and occasionally kiwis make my tongue burn, itch and swell. I'm allergic to plane trees and some other pollen from April to early June. And artificial citrus flavours and yellow and green food colouring. All make my tongue weird and me cough like I have whooping cough, baking and wheezy at the same time.

11. not latex, but zinc oxide.

12. I too have a latex allergy and also banana and kiwi. Latex is found in the skins of these fruits! [​IMG]