1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kitty Katty advice please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by huevosrancheros, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Some people will know I am a cat lover.
    Over the last three months or so, a grey cat has been in our garden, and in the last month coming into the house for food and shelter, upsetting our 3 resident cats.
    It clawed my legs, hissed at me if I gave it food, but had redeeming qualities, which none of my cats appreciated.
    So, I virtually had to hammer the Cat's Protection League to take him in on Friday, as my own cats were having nervous breakdowns. This was after they, Cats Protection, accused me of actually being the cat's owner on the phone and trying to sponge it off as a person being feckless. Anyone who knows me would know that could never happen.
    The woman from CPL did warn me that the cat might be put down ( yes, I felt threatened), but as he was neither ours nor making himself welcome it was the only choice.
    I have looked at the accounts of the CPL and see that there are at least 3 or 4 persons paying themselves over 80k a year.
    Does anyone else have experience of this organisation?
    The person who eventually collected the stray was a volunteer and was wonderful, but everyone whom I spoke to in an employed position was insulting and unhelpful.

2. PS and the advice needed is would you think it would be ever possible to take a stray cat back if they threatened to put it down otherwise?

3. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

I used to do voluntary work for the CPL and I know that although the employed staff are well paid , all the actual cat work is done by volunteers and much of this is at their own expense. The lady who ran my local branch housed many strays in her own house and most of the time all the accomodation was full.
    However, we would NEVER have put a healthy cat to sleep and if we couldn't immediately take a stray cat in we usually provided food in the interim.
    Do you have a local branch you could contact instead of the HQ? Or the RSPCA?
    I am surprised they weren't helpful. I would contact them again and stress that they should let you know if they decide to put the cat to sleep.
    Good luck.

4. We got our lovely fat lazy old booger of a cat from the Blue Cross cat n dog people.
    They seemed to have a lovely attitude - but then again they were probably volunteers too.
    Was on holiday in spain recently and there was a trio of absolutely adorable stray kittens who'd taken up residence under a hedge on a grass verge.
    Good job you can't transport them internationally that easily, otherwise I would have brought them home - and their fleas, flu, worms and antisocial habits probably too.
    But still - aww.
    And another mangy looking one was chomping on cat food on the street - so at least a local (I suppose) had taken a bit pity on the poor wee beastie.
    It's so easy to forget the teeth and claws when they look at you with their big eyes in their cute fluffy heads
    (oh dear I need to get a grip!)

5. My in-laws retired to Spain and now spend an hour a day feeding stray cats at different points around their campsite.

We got our cats from CPL and found volunteers all lovely. I think the actual person who sold them to us was employed by them and insisted on visiting our house to check suitability and phoned us th check they were settling down ok. She was also really nice but strangely had 2 pedigree dogs and 5 pedigree cats of her own so didn't practice what she preached.

6. Cats' Protection dropped the 'league' bit years ago. I volunteer with them and at the moment I have a stray (proberbly pregnant)in my home becausemy local branch is full. That means every volunteer fosterer has cats in their home and/or in cat pens in the garden.

When 'forced' to take an extra cat it means a volunteer has to have foster cats in different rooms (they are not allowed to mix with the fosterer's own cats or other foster cats)that means food and litter trays and constantly keeping doors closed so the cats do not mix. Not many people have huge houses so this ends up with someone having a litter tray and food in a bedroom or living room = not nice for the volunteer and not ideal for the cats

Owners do ring up and say they have a stray when it is their own cat and they are:
    fed up
    don't want to pay a vet's bill
    the cat is pregnant
    The kids have a puppy now
    etc etc

So while you and are genuine and people who know you know you are genuine a stranger doesn't.

Sorry you had a hard time, and good that you fed a stray, I just wanted to give you a view from the oither side of the fence.