1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kitting out a Primary Music room!

Discussion in 'Music' started by mandievider, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Hi,

If you could create your dream primary music department (KS1 in particular), what would you include?

What could you not survive without and what would be your ultimate indulgences?

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

A good selection of basic untned percussion instruments-tambourines, drums, maraccas claves, guiros, finger cymbals, 2 sets of chime bars, boomwhackers and hand bells. Enough xylophones and glockenspiels for one between two.

I would include a selection of instruments from other cultures.

Posters of instruments, a music history timeline, reference books.

Teacher resource books, good quality CDs to listen to, good quality sound system to play them on, recording euqipment,

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Good selection, sp, but would you not also include a piano or electric keyboard (for accompanying singing)?

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Ooops! Oh yes!!! :)

5. bod99

bod99 New commenter

I'd get a set of individual whiteboards with staves on. V useful. They're blank on the side which is great for graphic scores, quiz answers etc. Only about £35 for a class set. I video or photograph anything we want to keep from them.

6. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Bagpipes. Bagpipes everywhere. They lend themselves to whole class ensemble teaching, easy for little fingers to find their way around, and produce the joyous sound of the highlands.

Lennox