1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kite Runner and Thousand splendid Suns...now what do you recommend?!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by the apprentice, Sep 7, 2011.

1. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

I have just finished reading these..one straight after the other and was blown away by them....usually read 'girly-chick-lit' books so this was a bit different to me... Can anyone recommend any thing else...?! Many thanks

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The Help - Kathryn Stockett
    There is a thread just below here about fiction from other cultures which contains lots of other recommendations which would suit.

3. the apprentice

Thank you for that... not sure it was the 'other cultures' bit that gripped me, but just a good book...open to all suggestions! thanks

4. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I loved both of those books too. I seem to remember reading "The Glass Room" and "The Cellist of Sarajevo" around the same time that I read Hosseini's - both fairly bleak too! - so those might suit you.
    For something completely different but also with a powerful narrative voice, try Emma Henderson's "Grace Williams Says it Loud". It might be a love it/loathe it book but I really liked it as it was so different to anything I'd read before. (The narrator is a girl with cerebral palsy in a home in the 50s, I think, who says very little out loud in the book but narrates it all internally. Based on the author's sister, I believe.)

5. As another chick lit reader - Try The Room by Emma Donogue, Sophie Kinsella's books written as Madeline Wickham, ONe Day - David Nicholls before you see the film, The World Hums in B Flat, Alexander Mc Call Smith Scotland Street Novels as a starter.
    Personally just finished the Larsson trilogy , New McCall- Bertie novel, The Tiger's Wife, Skippy Dies, and The Elegance of the Hedgehog
    New List - Afterwards - R Lupton, ( Sister was very good) The Memory of LOve, When God was a Rabbit,
    However Mudbound by Hilary Jordan ( current read is superb) - same time frame as The Help
    Enjoy !!

6. the apprentice

Ohhhh ..thankyou, lots of suggestions that will keep me busy and out of mischief for ages!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I thought Room was a considerable cut above chick lit.

8. Sorry perhaps the punctuation - did not convey the meaning - I am a chick lit reader having completed Marian Keyes, Patriciaa Scanlan, Jill Mansell, Shiela O'Flanagan Judy Astley Madeleine Wickham however looking to promote anything with a broad appeal of interestingsubject/matter Having read both The Kite Runner and the 1000 splendid Suns. Just suggested some of my book club reads which appealed to a wide variety of different people. - No offence intended I thought The Room was very perceptive, current and was superbly written.
    For info - Just read Skippy Dies, When God was a Rabbit, Latest Alexander McCall Smith - When Bertie Played the Blues, The Elegance of a Hedgehog, The Memory of Love and Nemesis -and am looking for more great reads to be recommended

9. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Very different book, but I enjoyed 'Thousand Splendid Suns' and also 'Lucky Jim' by Kingsley Amis. Quite light, but very enjoyable!