1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

kitchen appliances...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1369, Jan 17, 2011.

1. I have been thinking about buying a food processor (or blender) and would like some recommendations.
    For now at least I will be using it to make/blend soups as I get myself back into healthy eating. I know technically a blender is better than a food processor for this purpose (according to delia smith) but I like the chopping functions etc of the processor.
    I have no idea and I pretty much hate cooking but I am going to make up batches of soups and freeze them. I'm fussy about certain textures of food which is why I will blend some of them - however I would like to be able to do some with a slightly chunky texture.
    I have been looking around and there are far too many available. In an ideal world I would fork out for a more expensive one because they look amazing, however unfortunately my limit would be at the very very very most £50.
    All ideas and recommendations welcome [​IMG]

2. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

For soups, a stick blender is best ( and you can control the presence of lumps ( " texture " in chef speak ) very easily.
    Food processors are good, though. I've had mine for years and use it regularly.

3. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I have had a food processor for about 30 years and do lot of cooking, in fact all my meals are home made. However, I can honestly say that I only use it to make pastry, though before I bought a bread maker I used it to make pizza dough. It is handy if you have a lot of cheese to grate, such as when making quiches where you can make the pastry, grate the cheese and blend the eggs and milk together, or a large amount of a rubbed in mix such as crumble topping or scones. It just seems extra hassle to wash up all those extra bits just to perform one task.
    My liquidiser broke, which is what I usually use for soups and better than a processor, so now I use a stick blender. Not as smooth as a liquidiser but easier to control how pureed you want it and so easy to wash up. Much cheaper too.