1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kit (keeping in touch) days paid?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tom clancy, May 16, 2012.

1. Depending upon your length of service and the length of time you have been off sick, you could be recieving your full pay at the moment.
    IIRC the first 26 weeks are at full pay and the next 26 weeks are at half pay.
    If you are somewhere in this time frame I can understand why your employer would be reluctant to offer you any more money.
    If you are not, then there are ways your HT could meet your child care costs, at least.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Being on maternity is not an illness...

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

What has it got to do with HR? It's your school that pays you; HR merely carry out the act. If your school wants you to do KIT days, and agrees with you that they should be paid, then the payroll team should just do as your schools bursar directs them.

4. crowbob - I am well aware that being on maternity is not an illness. The OP does not claim to be on maternity leave.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Tom - 'KIT' days are specifically a maternity leave option.... Your employer does not have to agree to fund KIT days, though if they wish you to attend they should - You do not *have* to attend any KIT days, even if you have agreed you can decline politely and perhaps explain your reasons.

6. Oh. But not in my LA. KIT days are used as part of the "return to work" process for staff who are coming towards the end of a period of long term absence as well as for Maternity leave. In fact I have a teacher who is coming in on a KIT day today who has been off suffering from cancer and, thankfully, will be back working in September.

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Neither did they claim to be on sick leave...

8. Sorry for the confusion. I'm coming back from maternity leave. Will phone up today and ask if I could move my return back to work date forward. Thankyou for all your replies