1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KIT days

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by vickysimpson1989, Mar 23, 2018.

1. vickysimpson1989

vickysimpson1989 New commenter

Is it possible to use all of the kit days in a row in the two weeks before returning? So I would effectively get an extra two weeks mat pay?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You'd need the agreement of your school, and if they're paying the maternity pay they may not be so keen. They might be happy for you to do them unpaid, but then you might as well stay on maternity leave longer.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Aren't you effectively returning to work two weeks earlier?

4. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

Your KIT days will be paid at your normal salary and you are not entitled to maternity pay for those days so as Stiltskin says you will be effectively returning 2 weeks earlier. KIT days are at the discretion of your employer. I spread my KIT days over a couple of months as it got me used to leaving my little boy and timed them so i went in for meetings etc. Going straight back full time after maternity leave can be a bit of a shock and breaking the KIT days up can help with this transition.