1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

KIT days

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by minxyfish, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone know how much you are supposed to get paid for KIT days. I have been in college yesterday and today (on their request to help with planning for Sep etc.) and agreed as I was under the impression that you got paid for them at your usual standard daily teaching rate.
    I have just been to hand in my time sheet, and the finance office have no idea how much to pay me and sent me to personnel. Personnel then dragged out the t&c files and said there's no agreement as to how much you should get paid - it's at the college's discretion and can be anything between a daily proportion of the SMP (ie. peanuts) up to whatever.
    I wouldn't have agreed to come in if I had known that! Luckily my mum has been looking after my daughter, but I could be seriously out of pocket if I had put her with her childminder.
    Can they only pay me a tiny amount of SMP?! For doing a days work?!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Astonishingly schools do tend to often be clueless about how to calculate a daily rate.

If you are in an LEA maintained school covered to work 1265 hours over 195 days a year, then your daily rate *should* be your annual salary divided by 195.
    This may vary in FE colleges however, and some schools try to get away with dividing the salary by 365 days.... which makes little sense as obviously that would mean your daily rate changes depending on whether a leap year occurs or not.

3. Thanks for your reply, Daisy. I am in a 6th form college, so suspect they pretty much do what they like. I think they would calculate it as a division by 195, BUT they seem to want to do it for my current SMP pay, rather than my normal full-time salary. That can't be right, can it? Although the document I've just been shown suggests it is indeed their call as to how much they decide to pay me.

4. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

It definitely isn't right!
    You should be paid a proportion of what your salary would be if you were not on maternity leave. After all, you did a day's work. You SMP is what you are paid while you stay at home with baby!
    If however (I think...) you are still being paid SMP, then you won't get that on top of the proper pay for those days. I'm not sure quite how they calculate it, but I remember reading something about it.
    Good luck - do fight your corner...

5. i am indeed lucky! [​IMG] my school are really keen on KIT days as they like having smooth handovers upon return to maternity leave so they're positively encouraged.

6. What IS a KIT day?

7. Thanks again Daisy and Spiderkin, I thought I was right in thinking it was a day's normal teacher rate. But, personnel lady definitely showed me some policy or other that said 'daily proportion of SSMP or above', or something along those lines. Think I'll send the union rep a quick email and get her on the case seeing as personnel and finance don't seem to know how much to pay me.

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

KIT stands for 'keeping In Touch' day.... While on maternity leave teaches can come into work for up to 10 of these prior to the end of their leave. The idea is to enable a teacher on leave to keep abreast of school developments and prepare for returning to work.

9. Just an update - they have spoken to the principal and she has okayed me being paid at my normal teacher rate. She also said, though, that it depends on what work has been carried out on the day...goodness knows how they decide which tasks deserve which pay. The mind boggles. So it's good news for me, but no guarantee I (or another colleague) would get the same rate of pay again.

10. There is no specific legal requirement on rate of pay of KIT days, it is agreed to by the employer and employee.

However, I think schools would be in a dangerous position not to offer standard day's rate of pay as it could be easily argued that receiving any less would amount to discrimination.

It's best practice for the school union reps. to get the head to formally agree to the standard teacher pay rate for all teaching staff in a written declaration, so that any difficulties are avoided for all. Might be worth speaking to your school rep. to sort this, because as you say someone else could miss out.