1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KIT days in an independent school

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by snj13, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Just looking for some advice please. Does anyone know if you can use KIT days in an independent school? Also I read somewhere that it is up to the school what they pay you, is this the case and if so what kind of rates could i expect?

Thanks for any info ppl can share! X

2. Hi all,

Just looking for some advice please. Does anyone know if you can use KIT days in an independent school? Also I read somewhere that it is up to the school what they pay you, is this the case and if so what kind of rates could i expect?

Thanks for any info ppl can share! X

3. kit days are your right and from the direct.gov website they should be paid (as originally they weren't paid so noone would do them!). i got paid supply rate of £150 a day when I did my kit days.

4. Thank you spiderkin. When you used them did you say what for? For example, inset, observations of staff, paperwork etc? Or did you request to use them and school could specify what you did e.g supply in a different year group etc?

My plan was to go and spend 3 days observing/helping in 3 different classes as there have been lots of changes since i left and i want to get my head round it all. Am i within my rights to ask to use kit days to do this and be paid or not? Would rather not go in if they will just 'put me anywhere' so to speak as in my opinion it will defeat the object of me doing it in the first place!

5. i only did 2 days and that was so that i could observe all the classes i was taking over and catch up on policies and changes and do a handover with my maternity cover. i think what you do is meant to be mutually agreed but i'm not sure. you don't have to do them remember....