1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KIT days cancelled - advice please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by friarsyear1, Mar 24, 2020.

1. friarsyear1

friarsyear1 New commenter

Hello.

I’ve tried to post this message on three different boards. Sorry if this isn’t the right one.

I had a meeting with my headteacher on March 6th to discuss KIT day dates and my return to work date. On March 12th, the headteacher e-mailed to confirm three of the 10 dates I had given her and, in addition, my return to work date (June 12th).

I received a letter this morning informing me that “due to these unprecedented circumstances we are unable to commit to any KIT days going forward”.

In addition to this letter, I received another to say that as my baby was born 2 weeks earlier than stated on my MATB1 form, that I had been overpaid by 2 weeks and therefore 2 of the weeks I work (from June) will be unpaid.

My primary thought is that the KIT dates were confirmed, in writing. Surely this stands for something?

My thought to resolve this situation is to request my return to work date as May 1st (when my daughter begins nursery - and a date that was one of the 10 I gave in the meeting on March 6th). This would financially cover the lost KIT days and I can work the first and last Friday and “use those” to cover the two weeks I was overpaid.

Does anyone have any advice please? I have e-mailed the NEU AdviceLine but an automatic reply e-mail explained it will be some time to receive a response as all members of staff are working from home. I have also messaged my local rep but, as yet, have not heard back.

Thank you in advance.

Jenny

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Don't know if this helps. There is no entitlement to KIT days.

Employee rights when on [maternity] leave

Keeping in touch days

Employees can work up to 10 days during their maternity, adoption or additional paternity leave. These days are called ‘keeping in touch days’. Keeping in touch days are optional - both the employee and employer need to agree to them.

The type of work and pay employees get should be agreed before they come into work. The employee’s right to maternity, adoption or additional paternity leave and pay isn’t affected by taking keeping in touch days.
    https://www.gov.uk/employee-rights-when-on-leave

3. friarsyear1

friarsyear1 New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and leave a comment.

I’m aware that there’s no entitlement to KIT days. The frustration comes from the days being agreed then changed. I’m hoping to hear from either the Advice Line or the rep soon.

Thanks again.

4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I think it's fair to say that due to everything your head is dealing with, it is entirely understandable that they:
    1) haven't got time to commit to meeting with you;
    2) have an obligation to maintain social distancing by not inviting in any more than the lowest, safe number of staff.
    3) can't give you meaningful CPD since they don't know when anyone will be back, let alone you.

I know it's frustrating but from a school leader's point of view, I can guarantee that you have no idea what pressure this head is dealing with - the demands placed on heads, leaders and serving staff can't be accurately described.

When things have calmed down to a vague normalcy (which could be up to a year from now), they will be in touch.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The entire world has changed since March 12th!!!
    There is unlikely to be a physical school to keep in touch with any day before September.
    Your Ht will currently be worrying about how to keep their staff and pupils safe over the next couple of weeks, how to persuade some staff to volunteer to work over Easter to keep the school open, how to keep parents happy with work being provided, what to ask staff to do or not do while school is closed, etc, etc
    They really won't have the time to work out what is happening in May.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Jesmond12 likes this.
  6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

They can't stop you changing your return to work date, if you give sufficient notice, so that would recover the lost income if you need it. If you can manage without, though (your outgoings are probably reduced with the lockdown), then I think I'd leave things as they are. Plenty of people will be losing out in various ways, and lost KIT days is a fairly minor worry.

7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Before making a decision, check that your daughter is able to go to nursery. We're literally rewriting the rule book each day at the moment.