1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

KIT Days and feeling in the way!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by hbee1, Mar 25, 2019.

1. hbee1

hbee1 New commenter

I have been in a maternity post since September and so far, has gone okay. My 6th form students have been fixated on the fact that I do things differently to their teacher who is on maternity, but I've managed to carry on going and finish the course. They're ungrateful students and to make matters worse, their maternity teacher is doing a KIT day today and doing some revision with them. I still have a few weeks left here and I'm worried that after today, my year 13 will simply not want to know me and will ignore anything I try and say/do with them! I've spent hours making revision materials for them and was planning on giving them to them this week, but I'm struggling to find the motivation when they're all so rude and ungrateful. Help!

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sounds like an unpleasant group, and you will be well shot of them when you part company. In the end, if they go off and do their own thing, it is their responsibility, not yours. I would give out your materials and leave them to decide. If they reject them don't spend any more extra time on them. You will probably find that some of them do start listening more as the exams get closer. Focus on them and leave the rest to revise as they think fit. And don't worry about it - this is their problem, not yours.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If the lesson is going to be focussed on revising the year 12 work, that would make some sense. However if it's going to be doubling up on stuff you're covering, it doesn't seem particularly helpful - it would be more sense for her to use the time to collect the information she will need to hit the ground running on return - look at their work, where weaknesses lie, take a copy of the revision materials you're giving them and what you're planning for the last few weeks, so that she can plan to complement your work on her return.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Do the best job you can with them. For the time being, continue to prepare as if they are a good group. However, you reserve the right to ease off in the future if they continue not to take the opportunities available to them.
    They're the ones who need the grades, not you!

Piranha likes this.