1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kissing teeth

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Delabela, Sep 17, 2010.

1. No, but I know what they're like.

2. I agree, that is hilarious. Kissing your teeth can mean many different things just as 'Excuse me?' can be to get someone's attention, asking someone to move out of your way or to express your displeasure with something someone has said or done. If a child kisses their teeth in your class deal with it appropriately within the context it was done and leave behind the temptation to deal with it based on the culture with which you think it comes from.

3. 'African Caribbean' please, we are no longer defined by a hairstyle!!!

Furthermore, it is very rude & not to be tolerated. Ignoring it is very bad advice indeed. I would find out the school policy on this.

4. Only just come across this post.. one of the best on here!

5. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

would that be the trade winds? [​IMG]

6. And where do you come from? Kissing teeth and tutting are absolutely NOT the same thing! Get your dictionary out. The sounds made are totally different.

7. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

In that case I realise that I have no idea what this kissing teeth sound is. How can I look a sound up in the dictionary? It says sucking air through the teeth - that's what I do if I have a sudden shock or hurt myself.
    Perhaps children are doing it to me all the time and I don't realise :(

8. kittylion

Sorry - too late to edit my previous post.
    I had a brain wave and searched on You Tube - no, I don't remember anyone making that sound to me at all, but if they had, without reading this thread I wouldn't have realised they were being offensive - in fact the clip I saw just said it was an indication of frustration or irritation - but now I know.

9. I advise you to spell ADVICE properly.

10. kittylion

Who?

11. It does relate to culture in that it is a Caribbean form of expression. However it is expressing disrespect and would be dealt with as such in schools and homes in the Caribbean. You should treat it in the same way. The pupils are only doing it because they are being allowed to get away with it.

12. Wow, Otoolem, <u><strike>your</strike> </u>obviously not a teacher if you post two spelling errors in your post! They're not all bad students but you were obviously a poor student at spelling and grammar! LOL[​IMG] How does one with such poor skills access this site??

13. Actually Maggie M is right; it doesn't necessarily mean f off but it is a mark of disrespect which is culturally specific to the afro- Caribbean community. Google it!

14. I agree it is more a sign of disgust/ disapproval/disagreement but is still rude--- You could ask the perp or class;
    would it be OK for teachers to do it to students?
    what does it mean
    how did you learn about it
    what are the origins
    Open these types of things up for discussion and some students will think twice as it won't be as shocking any more.

15. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

When this nasty action was explained to me, I was shocked. The next time it happened in my lesson, I told the perpetrator to wait back at the end. I asked what exactly it meant. Of course, all I received back were mumbles. 'OK', I said, 'I'll help you shall I?' I went on to explain that it was used to show extreme disrespect. No argument there. I then asked, 'Would you make that gesture to your grandmother?' The look on the lad's face was a picture!! I told him that if he ever dared do it to me, I would contact his grandmother. He brightened up and said, 'But you don't know how to contact her!' I agreed with him then said, 'But I think your mum will give me granny's number!'

No one kissed their teeth at me again, but all the kids I taught knew that I never made threats, only promises.

16. The 'Afro-' prefix doesn't refer to the hairstyle, rather the name of the hairstyle refers to the meaning of the prefix: of or related to Africa. In the same way English uses terms such as 'Sino-' or 'Austro-' are used to refer to that of Chinese or Austrian origin respectively e.g. Sino-British relations or Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Although I did go a scary many teenage years thinking that 'Afro-American' referred to Americans with Afros... *shakes head*

17. Thanks Simon Gould. I get particularly annoyed when I am picked up for using the term "Afro-Caribbean" as the word "Afro" means "pertaining to Africa", not a hairstyle. On the subject of "kissing teeth", it should never be tolerated. Simple. I have asked Black colleagues at school both on teaching and support staff what they think of it and their response is always clear. It is rude, disrespectful and they would not tolerate it if their own children did it. My partner's family are from Grenada and she told me in no uncertain terms that her parents would never have tolerated it and she would be in serious trouble if she did it. If a pupils "kisses their teeth" at a teacher, the pupil knows what they are doing - they are trying to disrespect the teacher. It should be dealt with in the same way as the school deals with disrespectful behaviour, language, gestures, etc.

18. I completely agree with the above posts stating the level of disrespect that kissing carries. I often reply "don't kiss'em, brush 'em instead", which turns the situation on its head and embarrasses the culprit. This is then followed up with a quiet word in the ear.

19. parkert

parkert New commenter

and it's "whoever", not "whomever" (which nobody really uses nowadays) as this would be the object form.

20. 'Kissing teeth' is a form of disrespect. It is almost always a secondary behaviour - a response to the young person being challenged about an earlier (undesirable) behaviour. The young person is seeking to reflect his/her frustration at being challenged back on you (and by the sound of it succeeding!) Earn your respect by focusing and following through on the primary behaviour and try to ignore the sound of toys leaving the pram...