1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kissing teeth

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Delabela, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Any advise on how to deal with children -specifically in Year 9 - that decide they're going to kiss their teeth at me and give a lot of attitude?
    I've been told not to react to it - but it does wind me up. Particularly the lack of respect on the pupils part if they're kissing their teeth at me.
    Any advice would be greatly received! Thank you!

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

"Kissing teeth"?

3. Kissing their teeth/ sucking on their teeth noise.

4. Explain the welfare system. Then remind them that your only there because your being payed and you will happily let them become prols in damp flats with there own scum kids and drug habits.

5. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Do you mean tutting?
    Whomever has told you not to react to it is giving you very poor advice - you should stamp this out as soon as possible. Otherwise some pupils will think that you will tolerate any kind of disrespect. Eventually your every decision will be questioned by pupils who will see you as having no authority.
    P.S. It's advice not advise (in the above context).

6. I'd come down hard on it myself. In the majority of families, it wouldn't be tolerated at home so why tolerate it at school? I usually phrase it in terms of appropriate and inappropriate ways to show we're displeased/ not in agreement etc. That said, my old school saw it as 'an expression of student's culture'!!!!!!!!!!

7. The army used to call it 'dumb insolence'. Do not tolerate it; first tell them it's unacceptable behaviour then deal with it in the same way you would deal with any other form of insolence. Whoever told you to ignore it is giving you bad advice. Ignoring it would be blurring the line between what is acceptable and what is not.

8. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Make it an issue with them. They're being vocally defiant and aggressive, so treat it as if they'd made any other indication of that. If you like, make it clear that if anyone does it from now on in your room, you'll deal with it like swearing, or peer cussing. If you let them do it, then you've just given them a way to mug you off without you doing anything about it.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

9. maggie m

maggie m Occasional commenter

It seems to be an afro caribbean version of f*** off. Always gets a detention at our school and a trip to HoD

10. This is hilarious!! Kissing teeth is not an afro caribbean version the above. It is nothing more than a tutting sound. The best laugh I've had this evening!

11. miss303

miss303 New commenter

I only rarely post but this struck a cord! First off, unless you work somewhere where there is teeth-kissing, you would not understand the enraging effect of that noise on an already frazzled teacher! It is not a tutt by any means.It's a long, drawn out, irritating sound which is nearly always followed up with a 'screw-face'.
    Ah, the joys of an inner-city academy! Can't wait for tomorrow!

12. I was thinking more along the lines of employment at the 'golden arches' - i.e. McDonalds - but maybe I'm being harsh!

13. I was thinking more along the lines of employment at the 'golden arches' - i.e. McDonalds - but maybe I'm being harsh!

I was thinking more along the lines of employment at the 'golden arches' - i.e. McDonalds - but maybe I'm being harsh!

14. I disagree with one of the previous posts - I think kissing teeth is much more defiant and disrespectful than a tut. I mostly ignore tuts and probably most of the time don't even hear them, but the kissing teeth sound is much louder and longer and I should know, I work in an inner city girls school! I treat it as disrespectful behaviour and always pull the perpetrator up on it.

15. I totally agree. I have recently started work in an inner city Leeds school and am finding pupil behaviour is shockoingly bad. The teeth kissing thing seems to have become a culture here and I'm expected just to "get used to it" as one colleague told me.
    I do challenge students on it, but in the face of chairs being thrown, bins kicked at me and being told to **** off, it sometimes gets overlooked.

I have no clue how to stop the students doing it.

16. I also agree that `kissin yer toot` is actually a much more disrespectful version of tutting. It is not the same it has a sucking sibilant in it.
    I first came across this mark of disrespect/disregard amongst my Afro-Carribean freinds when I lived in Brixton during the 1980s, and saw it again in the afro-carribean community in the Midlands. No other British based cultural group ever did this, however it has filtered into general British youth culture. (sorry nubianprincess but you are wrong here).
    Amongst freinds it can be acceptable as a bit of banter, otherwise it is being rude.
    With the absorption of certain "street" UK and USA traits, mannerisms and traditions that are perceived as cool, via Black British communities and the Black music scene etc, many kids talk with afro carribean vocal characteristics, inflections and styles even if they are white or Asian. (this is exactly what Ali G was based on?) whether they come from Staines, the suburbs, the Midlands or Devon.
    I have no problem with this, it is simply a dynamic evolving youth culture (language being an ever changing construct). I did similar when I was a kid. As an adult it is sometimes quite amusing to see .
    However kissing teeth IS a sign of disrespect, a bit like saying "whatever" .
    The child should be told that it is a sign of disrespect, or even that you see it as disrespect (If they are white or Asian background they may actually not know this) and if they continue they will get a consequence.
    I have shocked pupils before when I have told them what " Ras-claat", " Blut-claat" and "Bumba-claat" (all rude Afro-Carribean slang) actually mean; the pupils are usually quite embarassed when they find out. They were simply mimicking what they thought was cool but was actually a new cultural trait only recently aquired by British kids.
    I know this is a late contribution to this strand but I hope it helps, innit.

17. Incorrect and I fear you have simply applied it to the experiences you have had rather than understanding its differing use as a communication tool
    If you want to broaden the knowledge base.....
    http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~patrickp/papers/KSTpapwww.pdf
    Lengthy but a good insight.

18. 'The child should be told that it is a sign of disrespect, or even that you see it as disrespect (If they are white or Asian background they may actually not know this) and if they continue they will get a consequence.'

I think they know, and intend disrespect... even if they aren't fully aware of the extent. And students who don't mind disrespecting others don't usually care much about consequences, either. This is the problem, isn't it: there ARE NO suitable consequences; they know perfectly well that there's nothing anyone can do about being treated with disrespect, especially now, when the idea of political correctness has been so misinterpreted and misapplied.

19. Really rude, it can take quite some effort on their part as it is generally prolonged. It's even managed to make it as far as Aberdeen :)