1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kisses on emails, posts, messages etc...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4582, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Why does everyone put kisses on the end of their emails, threads posts, text messages, facebook messages etc?
    I can understand being shown affection by a friend when needed but the younger ones in work are doing it on work email. They send an email to another member of staff and put kisses on the end of it - its not the sort of thing you place on a work email, is it!?
    Is it just the way I was raised. You put kisses to family, close friends etc but not everyone on all correspondence surely?

2. Why does everyone put kisses on the end of their emails, threads posts, text messages, facebook messages etc?
    I can understand being shown affection by a friend when needed but the younger ones in work are doing it on work email. They send an email to another member of staff and put kisses on the end of it - its not the sort of thing you place on a work email, is it!?
    Is it just the way I was raised. You put kisses to family, close friends etc but not everyone on all correspondence surely?

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

everyone?

4. Okay, not literally 'everyone' but it does sometime seem like it is [​IMG]

5. impis

impis New commenter

Well I do it as a sign that i'm signing off with a feeling of comraderie and goodwill.
    Sometimes, if i've been in a heated 'discussion' - its important to end on a high note.

imp xx

6. I don't.

But I will if you want me to!!

x

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I sometimes use kisses to indicate that I'm ending the conversation ... but that's all.
    Unless it's a friend I want to kiss!

8. I notice it used more in the younger generation - I'm not old but it appears to be a regular thing when I never used to notice it.
    I'm not saying its a bad thing, but it does bug me a little, although it shouldn't.

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I agree. I don't put one on FB statuses but do in most emails (none work) and posts on forums etc x

10. I put kisses in all text messages, friends and family.
    I put kisses on facebook too.
    In work emails, I put a couple of kisses to a select few but that's it, not everyone and usually dependant on whether the person who emailed me put a kiss.
    I put kisses on 1 of the 2 forums I use, but not this one... but I have only just started using these forums really and don't 'know' anyone on here in the way I 'know' people in other forums I have used for longer if that makes sense.
    I'll end with a smiley instead :)!

EDIT: I'm 27 - don't know if that makes a difference?!

11. only to my OH and possibly close friends if they are upset and in real life I'd give them a hug at that moment - text and email. I rarely bother on fb.
    I don't really like kissing in RL, OH excepted, let alone virtually.

12. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

I sometimes put a kiss on my emails to friends at work if it is a more personal email - I wouldn't if it was something like : I need that data now!
    Same with texts to work friends.
    If I know someone doesn't like kisses,I won't put one on.
    I always put kisses on texts or emails to my mum,partner,kids and friends.
    I occasionally do so on here but it is if I feel someone could do with a hug and they seem really sad.
    To be honest, I am not that bothered what other people think - I just do what feels right for me.
    Usually,if I put a kiss it is because I feel affection for that person.

13. I would never put one in an email to a colleague.
    Usually only to OH, sister and a few friends in texts/ emails.
    Someone who I dealt with semi-professionally but became a friend used to put them on emails to me, out of habit then realised perhaps he shouldn't and apologised. I didn't take them as anything but habit from him (bit of a thespian as well as the sport I coached him in)

14. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

We used to know who was 'favourite teacher of the moment' when the HT put a kiss at the end of her correspondences to us!

15. I agree with this. It is kisses on anything in general I don't understand. I don't mean offend anyone but trying to understand why it's changed from when I was in my 20s. A kiss is a term of affection - if used on most things, how do you differentiate between signing off on an email and showing you care? If you see what I mean [​IMG]

16. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Two kisses means you really care?

17. I had to get myself out of the habit of putting kisses at the end of messages when I realised I almost signed a childs diary at school with a kiss..oops! [​IMG]

18. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Ha :)
    Back to the OP, the world would be boring if there was kiss etiquette - just go with how you feel is my philosophy.It's like hugging - some people can't bear to hug but I always give my friend a hug when we meet most weeks - I will give work friends a hug if they need on and vice versa (unless they are anon hug person - and don't get me wrong, I don't go round hugging loads of people,just every now and again) my partner always give me a kiss when he gets back home - my daughter still likes cuddles.
    I think it just goes with people's natures, some people are more open and affectionate and others have a more edgy but often just as friendly personality .....nothing wrong with either.