1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kirkie's Marvellous Maternity Department

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kirkiecustard, Sep 30, 2006.

1. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

Congrats Monkey!

I too am amazed how quickly I got pregnant I really thought it would take ages as I had been on the pill for 11 years. Hence it not being quite the right time for me and hubby - but we are ecstatic none the less.

2. I am due 4 weeks today....

I have 2 more NCT classes left and I have to say they have been brilliant! I did go to the NHS ones as didn't want to offend my community midwife. But to be honest they were pretty basic. It was nothing I hadn't read up on or researched myself. It depends what you want, I would like the chance to have as natural birth as possible (of course I realise that I will be screaming for anything drug possible at the time!)and feel that NCT has done enough on alternative pain relief and techniques to help. Nothing was said at the NHS class, apart from "we don't teach breathing anymore, now there is all the pain relief you don't need it.It is like running for a bus, you get out of breath and just know to adjust your breathing....just as you know in labour".
    Well, nice midwife, but **** classes in my opinion.
    NCT- expensive, but worth the money. It cost my £100. But they are a charity, and if you can't afford it, they let you pay in installments, or if you request they will consider no payments, as they want it to be available to everyone. I just had to think.....eugh £100...but yes, realistically I can afford that.
    I highly recommend them, as each class has helpers that really encourage the group to bond and they organise coffee mornings etc so good for networking.
    And...whilst I sipped coffee and cake last week and one, I was in "I miss my class" but this is great!
    Good luck to you all!

3. Try to book ante-natal classes a couple of months before you are due to drop in case you get an early arrival. I was slow off tthe mark and my last class was scheduled for the week before I was due but as it happened I only made it to the first class as baby came 5 weeks early. I did get to see tthee nice pictures of what my ceervix would look like at 10cms though $-:

4. I'm not pregnant or recently given birth but very interested in the whole thing. Just wondering how many of you plan to breastfeed. I had mixed experiences and finally felt I 'got it right' with 3rd child, thanks to Le Leche League. They were/are mums who give support and advice through pregnency, birth and beyond. I'd be happy to pass on details/contacts if anyone is interested. They do have a website.
    Enjoy your bumps and babies :)

5. hermione2001ie

hermione2001ie New commenter

Yes, I plan to breastfeed. Will be devasted if for some reason I can't...I'd be interested to know more about Le Leche League...

6. Does anyone feel or did you feel like you just couldn't believe that you are actually pregnant?? I mean I've only known for a short time and keep worrying that when I go to the doc's he's going to say-actually, sorry you're bonkers you are not pregnant! Logic doesn't say that but, I just can't believe that I am! I am so excited!

7. I went to the doctors today and of course they don't do another test so still feel like it's all not real!
    In fact it all feels so odd.

8. What happens? At the docs then?

9. Hermione (and others) the Le Leche League website is http://www.laleche.org.uk/index.htm . There are details of local contacts. Each group is a bit different - some meet at members's homes, some of the bigger ones in community centres or similar. The meetings can be informal socials or more structured 'information' meetings. I went to my first meeting 11 years ago and have never looked back! and still go to their family camps every year.
    You can phone a local leader for a chat and to find out more. I know several leaders across the country and all are wonderful people.

10. hermione2001ie

My doc (who is an Irish Catholic) just sat there, grinned inanely at me and said something along the lines of "ahh, that's grand." Then he proceeded to type stuff into his computer and that was that!There was a bit in the corner of my mind where I was thinking "am I imagining all this?" It was only when I had the scan last week that I was totally convinced that my lack of periods and nausea werent' a figment of my imagination!

11. My doctor said 'congratulations' and then asked why I'd gone to see him! Should have gone straight to midwife apparently, although how I should have known that...

I moved house two days later and went to see new doctor who was very nice, took my blood pressure, worked out my due date and gave me a midwife appointment. I think it varies from place to place

12. hermione2001ie

Everything that I've read or heard has said go to see your GP when you find out you're pregnant. You need to see them as they make the referral to the midwife...When my doc had stopped grinning at me he then went on to day "now, when you're pregant you will get free prescriptions - is that ok?" "you'll also get free dental treatment - is that ok?" Of course it's bloomin ok you silly man!! No, I'm sorry, i'd rather pay for my prescriptions and dental treatment... wally!

13. hi all hope you are all
    well i had a bit of a scare last week received a letter in the post on friday to tell me that the bloods i had done at 28 weeks were broken in transit and the lab had only just informed the hospital i was 28 weeks back in august and my midwife hasnt noticed that my results were not back am quite worried in case there was a problem that has been left for over 7 weeks.... obviously i've been back to have the tests done again but i am v unhappy with my midwife how have you all hot on with yours?

14. hermione2001ie

loulakins! What a nightmare! I'm sure everything must be ok though - if you're feeling ok etc.

I've only met my midwife once (I'm only 12 weeks) - wasn't overly impressed...

15. Hi loula

As far as i'm aware the bloods at 28 weeks (or 30 weeks, which is when mine were done last week) are just to check for anaemia - so shouldn't be too big a worry. Haven't you seen your midwife since then though? Seeing mine every four weeks now and then every 2 weeks from 36 weeks on. Not always the same person, but all the ones I've seen have been lovely. I'm tending to use this site and bounty.com for the general advice stuff though as it's a fast response, although when I had an early bleed at 8 weeks midwife was excellent, very supportive.

16. Had my first scan last week, it was amazing for both my partner and I. Am now looking forward to making plans. Hermie how you doing? Sorry I haven't been in touch x

17. hermione2001ie

Scan blew me away too! I'm ok ta, just a bit wound up about this whole chickenpox hoo ha at work.

I do have some nice news though. Yesterday after work the cleaning lady came into my classroom, as she does everyday - I think I'm the only teacher that actually talks to her. Anyway, she knows about the baby and all that - she gave me a card and a prezzie yesterday - 2 crocheted baby blankets made by a friend of hers nwho was paralysed in car accident. Even though the blankets aren't exactly to my taste it was a really nice gesture (strangely moving really, thinking of this poor lady sitting making something for my baby) and the only baby 'things' that I actually own. I'm too superstitious (or something) to buy any baby stuff yet. I've bought one pair of maternity trousers and that's it! You see these women on TV who bought loads of little babygros and stuff only to lose their babies and there they are looking forlornly through a chest of drawers....couldn't handle that.

18. Know what you mean Hermione - I have only just started buying things and I am 31 weeks! Still feels odd but I've reached the stage where I want everything to be ready now. If something is going to go wrong, it will go wrong regardless of whether I buy nursery curtains or not!

19. hermione2001ie

That's true florence, but at least at 31 weeks you're not at risk of miscarriage (as such) and you know that your baby is 'on track'...if you see what I mean. Must be so lovely being at that buying things stage (I'll be having a borrowing things stage!). I wish I was 31 weeks! I feel like I've been pregnant forever and I'm only a third of the way through!

20. Even though miscarriage risk has passed, I still worry - all kinds of things could still go wrong. It is nice to be past the early stages, particularly the throwing up (which still happens occasionally) but it's now starting to get a bit uncomfortable and also a bit imminent for my liking!