1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kip McGrath/Kumon

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by h001, Nov 4, 2017.

1. h001

h001 New commenter

Hi,

I’m considering opening a tuition centre and wondered if anyone could share their recent/current experiences of opening one. What are the pros/cons? How many pupils can you reasonably expect? Is it comparable to a teacher’s salary? What are fees like? Is it value for money?

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

2. simonCOAL

simonCOAL New commenter

You’re doing the right thing by finding out as much as you can. The questions are not easy to answer because location can be vital. I know about KMg due to helping a relative considering a franchise.

The best areas tend to be where there are entrance exams or pockets of parents keen on the tutoring ethos. Just having a catchment that provides some catch-up might not be enough to make a good living. Kip will advise you on this.

There will be a significant royalty charge each month that will eat into the turnover. You’ll need to rent premises and pay business rates. Location important again. Eg Cheltenham yearly rent £14.5 k, Bradford £8.5k, Plymouth £10k... then add business rates, utilities, insurance etc. Areas like Bristol, Edinburgh - add some, then add more!
    I only mention this because it’s easy to underestimate these costs even if you think you’re well prepared. It goes beyond the franchise fees.

In some areas you might need in excess of £20,000 in tuition fees in order to break even. You’ll need several thousand £s to set up: franchise fee, advertising and so on.

As a franchisee you will be managed at some level by KMEC (but nothing like school SLT). All the resources are provided. Some add their own (plenty of free items on the internet).

There are some longstanding franchises. A good idea to ask KMEC about this. I gather that some make a good living but few that I know of exceed their previous teacher pay.

Some new franchises don’t last 12 months.

Have a look at the Kip website to see how many days a range of centres are open. Some 5 evenings a week, some only two (with Saturday assessment sessions). Ask why this is. Demand? Availability of centre owner? Earnings related to opening?

A former colleague worked at a Kumon centre for a term. Found it very dull but I think it is what you make it.

I know this won’t help, but some love this type of set up whilst others find it a crashing disappointment.

If you can make it work you’ll wish you’d done it years ago.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

3. h001

h001 New commenter

Thank you