1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kingston PGCE - is anyone studying here?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by yddraigcoch, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Dear all,
    I have a place to do the Primary PGCE at Kingston from Sept. In my anticipation, I'd love to know the ins and outs of the course. Have you enjoyed it? Were there any downsides? Do you get reading weeks or similar for half term etc? Where are the majority placement school? I know that they are generally within 25km of the Uni, but are there many heading towards inner London? I will be located inbetween London and the Uni, so this would set my mind at ease!
    Any advice or info anyone can offer would be fantastic.
    Hope everyone is enjoying the couse!

2. Dear all,
    I have a place to do the Primary PGCE at Kingston from Sept. In my anticipation, I'd love to know the ins and outs of the course. Have you enjoyed it? Were there any downsides? Do you get reading weeks or similar for half term etc? Where are the majority placement school? I know that they are generally within 25km of the Uni, but are there many heading towards inner London? I will be located inbetween London and the Uni, so this would set my mind at ease!
    Any advice or info anyone can offer would be fantastic.
    Hope everyone is enjoying the couse!

3. Hi!
    I'm on the Primary PGCE there at the moment. I am enjoying it, but the workload is huge, especially considering that we are in uni from 9-4 every day! So far, it is manageable though.
    We get half terms at the same time as the schools do, we also had 2 and a half weeks off at Christmas and will have 2 weeks at Easter. My placement school was in Epsom, not sure where my second one will be yet. A few people went to a school in Tooting; of the people I spoke to they were mainly in Surrey, but uni do ask for your address and whether you have a car, and then try and place you accordingly. On our first one, we were told your journey should be less than an hour and a half each way, and there's a rumour going round that you will have one close placement and one further away, but not sure how true that it! Whereabouts will you be living?
    I would say don't buy any books before the course starts; I bought a lot from the reading list and have only referred to a couple, which I could have got in the library. If you want to do any reading before you start, you can go to the library for the day (you just have to show ID), which would be a good idea as you can see what books you think you'd find useful and what they have in stock.
    Hope that helps, Claire

4. Thank you for the advice Claire! Glad you're enjoying it, I can't wait to start!