1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

king size quilt on a double bed???

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minilady, Jan 31, 2012.

1. hi
    does anyone have a KS quilt on a double bed?
    just wondered if it stopped the sneaky draught when the covers have been pinched or is there too much quilt and you end up feeling swamped by it?
    was on verge of buying one, and of course new quilt covers, when i doubted the wisdom (and expense!!)
    any experience?? thanks

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we have one on our guest double bed. seems to be appreciated! decided to do it when i stayed somewhere else that had one and was cosy all night.

3. I have always been taught by my mother that when there are two in the bed, then a little extra always goes along way!

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

well, that's also true of duvets... :D

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, always, gives you much less chance of getting cold legs!!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've always had a king size quilt on my double bed, regardless of whether I'm sleeping alone or not. When I'm alone and it's cold I tuck it in on one side and at the bottom...luxury! A double sized quilt isn't nearly big enough - worse than useless.

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

A definite must!!

8. thanks for prompt replies - made me giggle!!
    am cross now that despite having said articles in hand i doubted my own wisdom and put them back
    never mind i'll go back tomorrow
    cheers x

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mr inky and I switch between a kingsize duvet and two single ones. Both have their advantages!

10. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Kingsize all the way! I live on my own, but still love my kingsize quilt. I rented a room in a house which had a kingsize bed, so needed the quilt and event though I only have a double now I wouldn't swap!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have a king size duvet on a king size bed as I am a king size person but I find the drawback is that I trip over the bits that hang over the sides when I get up in the night.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The only thing I have against king size duvets is that I now find it very hard work to change the cover, particularly when I'm using the winter weight quilt. I don't have the strength in my arms for flicking any more and, because I'm so short, I don't have the arm length either! It's a pain! Roll on summer weight...

13. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Let it hang over the banister (if you have stairs) - the gravity helps

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Sorr seren, that made me laugh, flicking a king size duvet with short, weak arms!! LOL
    I find it a drag as well but delay it as much as I can by turning the duvet over for the 2nd week rather than stripping!!
    *founder member of the S L U T S*

15. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

When sleeping alone (wich obviously is most of the time for me!!!) I much prefer a single duvet on my double bed unless it is particularly chilly - aka NOW!

16. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

We have a super king size duvet on our king size bed. In the guest room we have a king size duvet on a double bed.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I live in a ground floor flat - I wonder what my top floor neighbours would make of me nipping up there with my duvet! [​IMG]
    I cheat...I tend to wait until I have company and turn it into a two person job as it's much, much easier with two people; takes seconds that way.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

GENIUS idea! I'll adopt it.
    hmmmm...I'm in S L A T T E R N S.

19. We accidentally bought a super king size quilt and it is wonderful on our ordinary double - absolute bliss.
    The only downside (not a pun) is finding quilt covers; the range is much smaller and the price is bigger.

20. We have a king sized duvet on our queen sized bed with a quilt made by my mother in law which touches the floor on all sides - it made having no central heating for several years bearable, and is a great way to keep draughts out even now that we have working radiators. Almost makes the winter weather worth it...