1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

King Lear and ????

Discussion in 'English' started by samd, Jun 20, 2011.

1. samd

samd New commenter

Just planning a new ALevel Literature course using the AQA B spec. I want to twin something with King Lear based on the unit focus of Tragedy. Any suggestions? I'm looking for an interesting modern play if possible.
    Thanks
    S

2. samd

samd New commenter

Just planning a new ALevel Literature course using the AQA B spec. I want to twin something with King Lear based on the unit focus of Tragedy. Any suggestions? I'm looking for an interesting modern play if possible.
    Thanks
    S

3. You could look at Sarah Kane's stuff- modern (and truly gruesome) versions of Classical tragedies...

4. samd

samd New commenter

Ooh.. Sounds good. I briefly consider some O'Neill, but changed my mind. Thanks for your response.

5. death of a salesman is the perfect modern tragedy!

6. samd

samd New commenter

Thanks. I've considered Beckett's Endgame or Durrenmatt's The Visit.. What do people think?

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I wouldn't go for 'endgame' and I don't know the other play. How about Brecht? 'Mother Courage'? Or Ibsen?

8. Streetcar - worked really well for me[​IMG]

9. Not a play, but Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres is a wonderful book (set in modern times) inspired by King Lear.

10. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

No good for AQA B, then. Has to be a play.