1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

King James Bible

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Jan 16, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I've just uploaded some resources about the King James Bible anniversary - Only Old Testament so far. I will add the New Testament MP3's in the next few days. Eventually I hope to open each file on Audacity and create MP3s for teachers to use which are just the reading and none of the 'chat.' The chat is interesting, but a bit 'stuffy' for most classrooms. I think the actual reading - on its own - would be more use for me if I was teaching. What do you think?

It would take quite a lot of time to edit all the files. I aim to start with the ones which we use in GCSE (The first and second creation stories separately, for example)

This is what I have written about the files which include

The Legacy, The Creation, Sodom and Gomorrah, Joseph, Moses and the Song of Solomon.

The King James Bible - Old Testament

This year is the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible. The BBC celebrated this event with a special day during which significant passages were read. I downloaded them all as they can be used as a great resource when introducing the Bible or teaching Christianity - especially GCSE and A level These files relate to the Old Testament.

If you use any of these files, do make a comment or give some rating as this helps other teachers to find what will be useful for them.

2. Yes, please do that. But what on earth is Audacity? Don't make it too hard to access these mp3s!! I missed the shows when they were on iPlayer.

Anthea

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I don't know if it helps, but I downloaded the whole King James Bible very cheaply from audible dot co dot uk.

Thought it might be nice on the ipod on long car journeys!,p>

Even my 10-year old agnostic son loves some of the language - 'salutation' is his current favourite!

4. it has an amazingly important place in history
    it can be beautiful
    it is so part of our heritage but -
    it is inaccurate
    it can be hard to understand
    i'm not sure it's always that moving - runcie jnr (forget his christian name) quoted ruth to naomi as his favorite bit - i actually think that reads more movingly in a modern translation
    andrew - i'm afraid it is so often the choice of the agnostic or the avowed atheist