1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kinesthetic learning activities advice needed

Discussion in 'English' started by thegreenlantern, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I need help with ideas for lesson activities that are kinesthetic based. I would like to design some lessons with more of a kinesthitic element so pupils are actively LEARNING BY DOING (I.E physical activities) than merely writing.
    I am however stuck, any ideas would be massively appreciated that have really worked for you?????????? at KS3
    Thanks guys [​IMG]

2. Just doing a project on this with two local unis. Some ideas here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ytJpWYVGs

Hope they are useful. Get in touch if you need further details.

3. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

I can only think of things which are specific to particular topics, but here goes:

1. Card sorts - this sounds unkinaesthetic, but they get a lot out of it, especially if the cards are colourful or stimulate discussion/argument. We use this for a controversial writing unit on nuclear weapons in Year 8.

2. Rotate and add - especially good for developing analysis: get sugar paper and give each pair/group a theme or character. They must find the best quotation to represent a particular aspect of the topic and write an explanation of the quotation (give them only about two mins to write) then they move around the room. They must add a sentence to the previous persons analysis (at word level, on context, a link to elsewhere etc) and then add a quotation and explanation of their own. Repeat, and the next group get to add to either one or both, depending on the ability. The activity is fast paced and they enjoy it. They tend to remember stuff because they moved around too!

3. Teaching Limbo - totally stolen from Amazing Phil Beadle the Amazing Teacher - get them to be slaves, bang out drum beats etc. Actually, see his demonstration online for the actually explanation.

4. Visualisation/drama (with very weak in particular) - guide them through a piece of visualisation/drama as a preamble to writing. Eg. in the Island Project, spend a long time in the airport, on the flight, doing safety announcements, acting out the activities they would do on the plane, the crash, walking through the debris (my friend even set up his classroom as a plane - only 13 kids - and then proceeded to kick all the chairs over and make them lie in the wreckage). Use this to then get them to write.

5. Sensory description (you need to trust your class!) - Tell them to bring in scarves. Take them to the playground (having established ground rules) and get them into pairs. One person wears the scarf over their eyes as a blindfold. Nobody is allowed to talk above a whisper and the blindfolded person must be silent. They are then led around the playground by their partner listening to the sounds, concentrating on smell, being made to touch things (this is great if you have any trees or anything with different textures in the playground). They should then swap over and repeat the activity. Once done, they should take very swift notes, there in the playground, of the experience and then use it to write a detailed sensory description.

6. Fruit Bowl - Like the rotation activity, this is more about moving and group interaction than actually kinaesthetic learning, but it is very effective. It's an activity in levelling and establishing what a level looks like through modelled paragraphs. 1. Write 3 or 4 paragraphs on the same topic/quotation, graded according to your class's needs (eg. 4a, 5c, 5b, or whatever). Name them after different fruit (a gimick which works). 2. Give one paragraph with a matching set of simple level descriptors, to each child, face down. Don't put ones which are the same next to each other and try to give them the level above where they are writing where possible. 3. Get them to level their paragraph, silently and independently, using the descriptors. 4. Get them to find someone else with the same fruit to pair up with and adjust their marking accordingly and record the new level. 5. Get them to find one of each fruit (a fruit bowl), rank the paragraphs and adjust their levelling again. This usually takes us the best part of one 50min period, so feedback comes in the next lesson.

Hope those are some ideas to get you started...

4. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

Oh my god. I promise, I did use paragraphs. Stupid internet :(

5. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Google Teacher's Pet for a great macro for making flashcards. While VAK has been somewhat discredited, pupils completing work as part of a greater project is particularly suited to the summer term, I think.