1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindness and humour are the characteristics of a great teacher, according to pupils

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 7, 2018.

1. camillagallop

camillagallop New commenter

*absurdum. And try telling that to Cicero.

It doesn’t “duck” the point, it takes the argument to its logical extreme, as you well know. Your words state that children are not people. The term “yet” is merely a palatable modifier you’re using to justify your belief that children are not fully human.

By the way, Google ‘potential people’ and check out the definition. Spoiler alert: it’s not children.

Why can’t children be part of “adult society”? What do you even mean by qualifying society with ‘adult’? Children are people. That’s definition enough. If I have to explain it further, you’ve already missed the point.

Changing the goalposts to suit specific purposes only serves to undermine the validity of the goalposts. In your argument, you indicated that there is a moment at which a child becomes an adult and takes their rightful place in society. Kindly explain exactly when that moment is. If you’re going to make the argument, you’ll have to defend it.

‘Children’ and ‘adults’ are social constructs. As such, the decision to treat people differently is not based on any inherent differences between humans of one age or another. So please explain: why should ‘children’ be treated differently?

A fairly obvious point, but if you feel like you need to remove all personal responsibility after declaring that you know best, then go for it.

...in your opinion.

Take responsibility for your words. By denying them you only undermine yourself.

You said that children are not people, but rather “potential” people, this indicating that they are not fully human. So you did assert that right.

2. dleaf12

dleaf12 Occasional commenter

Thank you for the correction - sadly I failed my Latin exam.

At no point have I asserted they are not human.

You are clearly using the word "people" as a synonym for "human".
    I explained that I was using it in the sense of being part of adult society with all of the rights and responsibilities that entails.

Children are not adults. Society does not treat them as adults, by which I mean that they are not treated as adults would be treated in a given situation. Thus, whilst still part of "society" children are not yet part of "adult society". The latter is a subset of the former, hence the necessary qualification.

No one has changed any goal posts. In our society we treat children differently, in an age dependent way as a rough approximation to the developmental process they are undergoing. I also suggested that there is NOT a single defining moment when child becomes adult.

In law, children older than 10 can be held responsible for any criminal actions they may take. Children older than 16 are eligible to serve in the armed forces and are considered capable of giving informed consent to sexual activity. Children older than 18 are deemed to be able to enter into legally binding contracts, vote, and everything else that adults can do.

The rest of your points seem to stem from your failure to understand the sense in which I used "people" in this context.

All of which is starting to drift away from the original point. Not everything children say should be accepted uncritically, sometimes, adults know best.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i might have been interested in a debate about this but cannot be bothered to wade through all these pointless point scoring posts.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

incidentally, a little kindness and humour would not go amiss from a head teacher from time to time.