1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle V's Sony EReader? Pros and Cons of each?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1359, Nov 20, 2011.

1. I'm a complete technophobe and my only experience is looking at the Kindle on display in Tescos, so what's the difference between a Kindle and the other makes, especially the Sony?
    I'm getting one for my birthday and am bewildered by the decision. Many thanks

2. impis

impis New commenter

I have no idea what the diffferences are. I have a kindle, and I love it.
    I do know, though, that my DIL had a sony, and after having ago on my Kindle, bought one of those instead.
    Does that help?

3. I have both .... prefer the kindle. It is easier to download books on to .. seconds from Amazon.

4. Think Santa (well hubby) is getting me a Kindle for Christmas... only thing I can see for one side v the other is that I know our local library does e-book rentals, but not in Kindle format. They are, however easy enough that my techno-*** mother's managed to work one.

5. Thanks everyone.
    mixu - do you find it harder to download books on the Sony? I was reflecting being tied to Amazon for Kindle but the Sony website says I can buy from Waterstones and WHSmiths and download from the library.
    I want something easy to use, but I also like the idea of being able to get books from various sources, including free from the library. Anyone got any thought on that aspect?

6. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Do you or might you in the future want to do more than read books? Browse the internet, look at photographs videos etc catch up on TV programme, play chess/games If so consider an iPad. If you are sure you will only want to read books then go with a reader.

7. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

If you have an iPad you can get your books magazines papers etc from wherever you want.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I am very fond of the Kindle...
    If you use Calibre, then you can get newspapers and magazines free on the Kindle - a fairly broad choice, English and International.
    I can access the internet on my 3G Kindle....although the keyboard is a bit small.
    The Kindle is also more portable than an i-pad.
    Our library loans e-books.
    And the Kindle screen is amazing - just like reading off paper, no problems reading in bright sunlight.

9. I found it very difficult to download books on to my Sony when I got it 4 years ago ... wouldn't download to my Mac. This has been sorted out as far as I know. I found the books on Waterstones and WHSMITHS to be very expensive whereas there is a cheaper kindle price.

10. Well my dad got me a Sony EReader for Christmas 2 years ago and it wouldn't even upload onto my computer properly-I'm not sure whether it was a software issue but it just wouldn't recognise it and kept freezing! I never used it as I couldn't get past the Start Up screen. I now have a Kindle that I got for my birthday this year and I love it! The downloads are really quick and it's easy to use. The only issue I have is that it's obvious that some of the Kindle versions of books have not been proofread properly as I come across minor spelling mistakes quite a lot but, other than that, I love it and would recommend to anyone.

11. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

I have a sony EReader and I love it! I have had no problems at all downloading books.
    Mine is in constant use, when I have time!
    :eek:)

12. Thank you everyone. I think I'll follow the majority here and opt for a Kindle.

13. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Oooh, I love my Kindle. And I can download all the Mills & Boon I want without getting on my husband's nerves and having them strewn all around the bedroom.
    I indulged in my fantasy last night (on a school night too!) and enjoyed a sordid affair with a Greek billionaire followed very swiftly with a torrid triste with an Italian Count.[​IMG]

14. 576

576 Established commenter

I have a Sony Reader.
    Love it.
    Have all my books backed up on memory stick.
    As I understand it - and I may be wrong - but I believe you can't do that with a kindle and that theoretically if Amazon ever did a Woolworths you'd lose all those books despite the fact you paid for them!

15. Another vote for Kindle here - you are not tied to amazon you can download from other sites. You can also borrow from other kindle users although I have not done that yet.

If you do download from Amazon then they are backed up online and you can also read them on your phone / computer / whatever.
    Mines 3G but my housemate bought the new, even lighter, one yesterday.

I did look at Sony but it seemed a bit clumsy and I think (not sure) it had a lit screen which I wasn't keen on.

16. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

I have a Kindle, which I use when travelling. So far I've only bought novels, but I was wondering if you get the pictures when you buy biographies?

17. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

Thanks for that info.