1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle vs real books

Discussion in 'Book club' started by langteacher, Dec 2, 2011.

1. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Just toying with the idea of getting a kindle, they seem to be really popular. How many prefer them over the "real thing"?

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I do - it is so much easier to pop a Kindle into my handbag for reading at lunchtime or in the park etc than it ever was with real books and I have a huge choice of what to read with me at all times. I actually have an enormous library book on the go right now too and it is driving me crazy because of its heaviness and size. Has taken me three weeks to read half of it because I cannot take it to work.

3. langteacher

that's sorted then!
    It was Mills and Boon that swung it!!
    Mills and Boon???? Can you still get them?

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

*creeps in with paperbag over her head*
    Mills and Boons had an offer on recently...I got a totally free e-book (haven't read it yet!)

5. You can read pdf files although I struggled a bit getting it big enough to read. Really useful for quick reference to things though.

6. langteacher

ah yes but can you get mills n boon as pdf?

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I love my Kindle for when I'm on holiday or out and about. I've always got it with me so that I'm never without something to read if I'm on a bus or train, or even just walking to the shops. The kindle's so small and light that whatever bag I've got with me, there's always room for the Kindle.
    It's been brilliant for holidays: I used to try to travel light, but was always defeated by the half a dozen books that I had in the bottom of my rucksack. Now I take hundreds on the kindle, for the weight of one slim paperback.
    But, I do still like to curl up with a real book at bedtime.

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I do find that I can lose myself in a book on the Kindle, in the same way that I can lose myself in a physical book. But I agree that it can be annoying if you want to check something. I often flick back through a real book if, for example, I can't quite remember who a minor character is. But it just doesn't work on a Kindle.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not very well.
    But as long as the PDF isn't in columns, you can usually convert it very simply with the free Calibre software and then they are very easy to read.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You can get them in all sorts of formats, Mrs TG now tells me!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

11. langteacher

I had seen them in our local Tesco. Today I was near a Sainsbury's but it appears that Amazon have done an exclusive deal with Tesco

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lang teacher, if you are one, you might be interested in the fact that with Calibre you can get all sorts of foreign newspapers delivered straight to your kindle, for free!
    Best wishes

13. langteacher

Yes I am one but will start with books first. Might have a little nose at the papers when I get the hang of it. Not actually bought it yet though

14. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

As someone who reads a LOT, I've been considering getting a Kindle - mostly because quite a few of my friends have bought them recently and have been delighted with them, and because last time I went on holiday for a week I read all 6 books I took with me and then had to buy a couple more for the plane home, so a Kindle would be ideal for reducing book weight in bag, but I just can't bring myself to read books electronically. I don't know why, I just feel that part of my enjoyment of reading comes from physically having a book in my hand. If I was reading electronically, it'd somehow feel like I was doing work. I know you can get free books, newspapers and so on, and that they're great for travelling, but I just can't do it!

15. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

rosaespanola....trust me, a Kindle feels and reads just like a 'real' book! The only difference is that some of the big blockbusters are heavy and unwieldy (and I can't manage heavy books any more!) but on the Kindle they are as light as a standard paperback!
    I'm going to spend Christmas with Mum...I am taking with me one real book and my Kindle....Whatever I feel like reading I can access on my Kindle - a nice whodunnit...an exciting thriller...a children's school story...soem poetry...German Christmas stories...it's all their on the Kindle!
    Plus, in the cold mornings Mum will sit and wait for the lazy paperboy to drag himself out of bed and trudge to deliver her Daily Mail...I can get the DM and the morning's German newspapers on my Kindle whilst waiting for the kettle to boil!...of course the one drawback is that the Kindle papers don't include the crossword! (Which Mum insists is the only reason she buys the DM...'I don't actually read the paper much buth...I like the crossword...and the codeword and word wheel!')

16. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Hmm...I borrowed my friend's Kindle just to see if it was really that different to reading a real book, and I actually thought it was. I can see there are definitely a heck of a lot of advantages to having a Kindle, and if I did a lot of travelling on public transport then I'd probably get one just for that so I wasn't carting big heavy books around with me, but I can't see me wanting to use one at home if I could be reading an actual book. I might still think about getting one next time I go on holiday though!

17. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am just about to buy my fourth. Or is it my fifth? I've given away 3, have got 3 left, so it's my 4th.
    One of the new little ones.
    Have got a DX (the very big one), 2 of the other ones, and now to get the little one.
    :)
    Best wishes

18. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

I use both books and a Kindle - really good birthday present this year. I see benefits of both and am pleased to access the "ancient and modern". Btw Theo - retirement must be good if you have had 5!!

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hardly have time to wash up for Mrs TG!

20. Can I throw a spanner in the works?
    I never quite liked the Kindle but I did buy a Kobo touch recently. I like how you just touch the screen to navigate everthing and you can 'turn' the page like a real book. Quilted back makes it easy to grip (especially useful for OH who reads in the bath). I'm so impressed, I'm buying my sis one for Christmas.
    WHSmith sell them and now Asda do though Smiths just reduced the Touch to £99. Oh and great choice of colours too! And with a memory card you can store thousands more books than the Kindle (should you get through that many!)
    And no, I do not work for Kobo!!