1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle use in ICT lessons

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tosbrown, Jul 6, 2011.

1. I am curious about the Kindle issue in schools. I own one and I am a big fan of the little device after only a few months. but it does a very niche job, and I am perplexed by the idea of them being used in school to replace paper copies of books. Just because a technology is there doesn't mean its any use for education. Take the iPad, please can someone state some good reasons why the heck they have a place in the classroom (other than consuming media output, videos etc).?

2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I have one, and i've been writing a blog post about my experiences and how i see them being used in schools.
    I think that it is not an ICT issue here, i think it is the way that they are employed in the library. I can see a (near) future where there are no books and kids loan kindles that "expire" after a certain point....but someone has to develop the technology that allows schools to transfer books to devices but make them useless after a certain point to avoid theft.

Just a thought. Remember, you heard it here first!(and i want some cash for it!)

3. The Kindle's a fantastic device for reading novels and it has gone on holiday with me for the last year. I don't think it has much use with regards to textbooks or travel guides, where you need to flick between pages quickly and view clear maps and diagrams - books are far superior; much faster and a lot clearer (and in colour). A bigger issue is how you manage them. As yet, there is no facility for setting up password protected admin rights on a set of kindles and preventing pupils from doing what they like, such as adding or deleting books. There may also be an issue with how they use them e.g. for browsing the Internet. Although not so good for this, some will say you still need to provide a way of filtering. I agree with the second poster - carts and horses and all that.

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

It already exists and it built into Kindles and most other ebook readers.
    Copyrighted works are digitally signed and the signature includes expiration dates. It's almost trivial technically to set up a server that delivers the media on 14 day (or whatever) "loans".
    The problem though is that the publishers don't like it. They are worried about losing control of the distribution chain and are treading water with ebooks and demand that getting an ebook from a library is made a physical experience. They want to keep the experience of holding paper books in your hands alive as once it all becomes digital, they fear the need for publishers will evaporate.

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Electronic learning packages and emulation for engineering (for example) can make very good use of ipad technology and allows all students to access the media out of the classroom. Granted this doesn't necessarily have actually be an ipad, but it is streets ahead in instant access and portability terms than, for instance, laptops.

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I'll make a fair bet that books will still exist in schools for decades to come (perhaps longer). I think e-book type electronic media will become sophisticated (which it isn't at the moment) and will compliment traditional libraries, but not supplant, them in the near future.

7. Isn't that only for anyone with at least £500 spare?

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Oh Yes. But large organisations and the MOD for instance, can afford it.

9. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

This is interesting
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128203.400-south-koreas-pupils-to-go-paperless-by-2015.html
    ...Under its Smart Education programme, announced on 1 July, the (education) ministry
    is to spend 2.2 trillion Won ($2 billion) digitising all elementary and
    secondary school textbooks currently in use so they can be read on a
    variety of devices, including computers, interactive whiteboards,
    iPad-like tablets and smartphones. Classes will also be video-streamed
    online so children who can't come in due to poor health or weather don't
    miss out.

Sadly we'll probaly never see anything like this is the UK, due to the vested interest of ?? et al

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

How on earth can it possibly cost so much? Surely every new edition of a text book or any other written matter already exists in electronic format. Automatically turning them into files such as pdf, mobi, opf fetc should be miniscule in cost and distribution equally easy and cheap. I'm glad my tax is not being spent on such an outrageously expensive con.

11. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Gosh, we are a bit 'glass half empty' aren't we ?
    A litlle bit of further research suggests that the headline figure is mainly to pay for the infrastructure to allow student access to to a 'cloud' system where they store work and access the books. As well as - a bit of compo to the publishers etc etc
    Still it won't concern us, as forward thinking 'tax payers' such as yourself will always veto any hint that we could at least take some steps to move on from the world of dead trees using public money
    Instead we'll leave the intiative to equally forward thinking privately funded book publishers etc.
    I thnk we'll have a long wait.

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I never said it was a bad idea, I said it sounded like a rip-off cost. The 'cloud' is a bunch of hard discs called a server and access is via a wifi connection. I like technology, but yes I also I have a fond regard for dead trees made into nice books. As to any idea that a British government could even bring off a simple scheme like this in any sane price range, I am confidently sceptical.

13. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter