1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle Unlimited - Amazon

Discussion in 'Book club' started by thistledoo, Dec 16, 2016.

1. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

I joined Kindle Unlimited just before I retired in July and have read nearly all the books that I can in their library. I have even read books that would not have been my first choice (some were not very good). Occasionally there are new additions and I have also found that if I search for a book it may be offered on 'unlimited'. The fact remains though that my choices are becoming fewer. I am just about to go and join the local library for their kindle library (lucky the library is still thriving in our town) to try and expand my reading choices. I have some questions - Is there anyone else who has joined/ left Kindle Unlimited? Has anyone else joined their local kindle library?
    I'm trying not to add to my paper book collection and trying not to pay ten pounds plus for Kindle books, particularly those published recently.
    Sorry if this topic has been discussed in the past.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I've never joined because it didn't seem to have a huge choice of things I wanted to read.

thistledoo likes this.
  3. thistledoo

4. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

I joined it but realised I wasn't reading enough of the books in a month to make it worth my while. I found the choice slightly limited but there were good books on it. I like reading the classics - they are free. There are also daily deals which are quite good.

thistledoo likes this.
  5. thistledoo

Yes, I've discovered the daily deals recently @rayondesoleil1976. I have had some very goodreads on Kindle Unlimited. I can't leave yet though because MIL got a kindle for Christmas and she is reading through a series of books - so I keep changing one!

6. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

@thistledoo

I know it's been a while since the last post on here but I've only just read the thread for a he first time and wondered if the Kindle unlimited was still felt to be worthwhile by those who had subscribed months ago.

It's not something I was aware of tbh. How does it work and do you consider it worth the money now you've had it a long time. (How much is it per month as I already pay a monthly audible subscription and buy a few paperback books per month so would need to feel it was worthwhile taking on another monthly payment).

Hope you don't mind me enquiring.

7. thistledoo

Hi @peggylu I'm so sorry I haven't been about on TES for a while and only just looked at my notifications.

The Kindle Unlimited has been good and I have been a member for over a year. As I'm retired, I can read quite a few books in a week, I average four. It has saved me money rather than buying individual books. I have read my way through whole series of books such as Robin Roughley, Joy Ellis, Kendra Elliott and LJ Ross. I thought I was exhausting the repertoire sometime ago but it is only now that I am really beginning to struggle. It is roughly £8 a month and the books I choose would range in price if buying them individually.
    You have your own account and can choose from the library but quite often the next book is flagged at the end of the current book. I also found that I could put the title of a book in the browser to see if it was available on 'unlimited'.
    You are entitled to 10 books at any one time - and as I mentioned before, my Mother-in-law also has a kindle... she's in her eighties, so she shares my account - which means I can't delete some books until she has read them and I have to choose some books to suit her!
    I would have a look at the books they offer to see if there are that suit your reading style. I have found it has saved me quite a lot of money and there are lots of different genre such as the usual lending library. I have been surprised that they have included new releases of some popular authors such as LJ Ross.

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I decided not to be a member and instead deploy a range of alternative strategies because I'm a tight fisted big reader which is a problem!

So every day I get the email and check the one day deals where books are discounted to drive sales. I stack these up by forward buying all the ones from 1£-2.49£ that I like.

I have amazon prime so I get one 'unlimited' a month.

I am prepared to pay full price on kindle for a book I really want. That's like a big event for me.

I ask people who want to buy me presents to give me credit or cash for books on my Kindle and then I send them a screen shot of the purchase so they can see how easy and successful that present buying was for me.

I will go back to paper for one off books where I can can get a paper version from a charity shop for 50p-£1 against a kindle price of £5 only.

I hunt for classics I might have missed and ensure I get a free version of it. I'm big on my classics and dot them in between my regular reading. I also re-read classics.

I read the paper on my kindle every day which helps soak up 30-45mins of reading every day.

All that keeps my reading happily balanced and reading pretty much any book I tend to take a liking for.

thistledoo likes this.
  9. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Thanks @thistledoo no worries about the delay your detailed answer and information more than makes up for any wait. :) I really like the idea that the account can be shared and it also sounds a good way to read some stuff I may not have otherwise picked.

I have Amazon Prime too but I didn't realise this was one of the perks on offer.

So, I will have a peak at no extra cost via Prime first and then commit to the monthly subscription if I like what I see.

thistledoo likes this.
  10. thistledoo

Sounds like a good idea!

11. thistledoo

Me too.