1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle in the sun?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by alea, May 19, 2011.

1. Have been avidly reading all the (many!) Kindle threads as I have been warming to the idea of late. I was thinking it would be especially useful for holidays, however I tend to go to the sun (not literally!) in August. Has anyone any experience of using a Kindle in hot places. Can you see the screen or is it like trying to use a laptop in the conservatory?! I read somewere that they state a maximum temp of 30 or 35 degrees, is this true? I'm worried that temps might go higher than this on holiday. Many thanks

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you go for a swim and someone nicks the book you got from Oxfam fo a quid who cares but leave your kindle under your towel and it won't be there when you get back. Can a kindle cope with sand? To be honest I try to leave all expensive stuff at home when I go away, the most expensive thing I carry would be a camera and that can be replaced for about £60.

Kindles are just a ploy by publishers to stop books being passed on. Will you be able to load up your kindle with 8 books a month free from the library or buy a secondhand electronic book from a charity shop? If your mate has an e book will you be able to lend it without borrowing his kindle?

Seems a backward step to me.

3. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I totally agree, blazer!

4. seren_dipity

seren_dipity New commenter

My kindle was a gift but it cost about the same as my camera.
    If you have a friend who knows how to convert files they can send you a pen drive with a thousand books - all free.
    I was dead against it but am now a convert - I still love a real book but the kindle definitely has advantages.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Cor lumme. Do you think you will get round to reading them any time soon?

6. zee-bra

zee-bra New commenter

Yes but think of the savings that will be made from the usage of paper.

7. actually - yes you can. The library my mum uses does lend kindle books (not sure how but she has borrowsed them), and also you can borrow kindle books from your friend. if you look on the amazon site it explains how. I think you have to send your friend the book via amazon website, and it's unavailable for you to read while your friend is using it, and when your friend is done, they send it back.

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

My local Tesco store was awash with Kindles tonight (on special offer).

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The Kindle is amazing just as a device for storing/displaying books but it is so much more!
    My Kindle stores all sorts of books. I have folders set up with various text books, assorted non-fiction and various genres of fiction - in both English and German.
    I have a growing Kindle collection of e-books that are out of print. Without the Kindle these treasures would be unavailable to me. The Kindle is keeping old titles alive.
    I can get German and English newspapers delivered to my Kindle each morning free of charge....I could have other language papers and magazines too if I so chose.
    The Kindle gives me limited access to the internet. When I was last in hospital I took my Kindle and could check my e-mails and TES. (Sending e-mails is possible but the keyboard is a bit fiddly). Google is also accessible.
    I have free samples of many books - Amazon send me a few chapters so I can try-before-I-buy. And I can buy a title at anytime. I've finished a book on a cold Sunday afternoon and decided to read the next in the series - I found it on Amazon and bought it directly from my Kindle and it was there for reading in a couple of minutes - all without leaving the comfort of my rocking chair!
    If the unthinkable happened and my Kindle was stolen - I would not lose all the books I have stored.....Amazon has a copy of everything I have ever bought from them - including those titles I have deleted. (If I delete a title and change my mind I can get it back months later - you can't do that if you have thrown a 'real' book away!)....all I need to do is get a new Kindle device ( You may get the cost covered by insurance depending on the circumstances of the theft.....don't know about the 'stolen whilst left under the beach towel' scenario!)

The Kindle will never fully replace books for me. But it is one of the best presents I have ever been given.