1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle? Help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Aug 30, 2012.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My husband fancies one of those for his birthday. Which one who you all recommend? What should I be on the look out for?

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I have the one with the keyboard. I bought it secondhand from a colleague who was upgrading and mine does exactly what I want it to do. I download books, sort them into catagories and read them. TBH, I'm not sure what the other ones do.
    After footling around with clip on lights-they all broke!!-I bought a leather cover with a light as part of it. This was a very good investment for me as I read in bed most nights and Mr D-bless him-used to be disturbed if I used the bedside lamp.
    Hope my ramblings might help!!

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Thanks.
    A keyboard? Now I'm confused.

4. There are two kinds of Kindle (may be more but I know of two!). One is about £90 and the other more than a hundred, I agree with Dragonmother the £90 one is great but you do need to acquire some means of lighting, sounds like she has it cracked whereas I have a seperate little light which is not so brilliant. Try Amazon I am sure they will tell you more.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,I've seen that. The keyboard one that the first poster speaks about is £149 and the other one is £89. Is the expensive one really worth it? Is having the keyboard better?

6. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Okay. Here goes. I am in a rush. so ignore spelling.
    they make three altogether. Each of them come with the options of wi-fi only, or wi-fi and 3g. The 3G is more expensive in all cases, and allows to access amazon /buy books when not at home, using the 3g mobile internet.
    The three models are
    1 One with a little Keyboard at the bottom
    [​IMG]
    2) One without - the keyboard pops up on the screen when you need it by perssing a little kwyboard button.
    [​IMG]
    3_ A touchscreen model, again the keyboard comes upon the screen when you need it, but instead of (annoyingly) navigating the keyboard using the joystick button in the other model (number 2 here), you touch the screen.
    [​IMG]

Those are your basic options. I have had the first one, fine brill, liked it.
    I have the second one now as my father nicked the first one, and is also fine - prefer it to the first - I think the screen is slightly better.
    The third one, the touchscreen, I have tried, and found it confusing
    You need the keyboard to add collections - like categories to organise your books in - Eg my categories include classics, free fiction, religion etc which you create yourself. The keyboardis annoying, but used so infrequently I don't mind. I howvere use amazon on PC/Laptop to get books, it offers much better searching than buying direct from your kindle. If though I used the kindle to buy direct intstead of using the laptop/PC the keyboard would be enough to throw it out of the window.
    Have to dash - typed this in about 3 mins, so hope it makes sense. xx

7. I've got one of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002LVUWFE/ref=s9_pop_gw_g349_ir01?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0EH08BXFHJRG8N8R80FJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317827967&pf_rd_i=468294
    It does everything I want it to do. I didn't bother with a booklight as I have a bedside lamp, but it isn't backlit so you do need a light source on it. Of course not being backlit means less eye pain the rest of the time.
    There is also a Kindle touch out now - don't know what it's like. I chose not to get one as I don't like touch screens, but most people seem to be used to them now and I'm one of the few luddites left.
    I really like it, but I still buy books as well.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have the original model with the keyboard. I don't have a light as I haven't needed one - I tend to do what I do when I'm reading a book...if it's dark I put the light on. [​IMG]
    I expect he'll be happy with whichever model you choose, catmother - I didn't even know I wanted one until I had it and now I love it.

9. The keyboard is easier when searching for books - much easier to type in the name of the book or the author than directing on a virtual keyboard - the keyboard on the screen isn't a touch one - you have to get the cursor over each letter by using left/ right/ up/ down button.

10. There are so many free books - I've ended up reading a lot of classics that I probably wouldn't have done if I had to pay for them. That was the reason that I eventually caved in and bought one.

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Thank you all for answers. Looks as if this will be a birthday+Christmas pressie if I go for the £149!
    My fault for keeping asking if he was sure there was not something he really wanted!

12. I would stick to the middle one, does all you want, unless he is a real geek!

13. [​IMG]
    Check through the books that are available for it first though and see if the type of thing that he likes reading make it worth it.
    My husband reads a lot of engineering books and a lot of them aren't on Kindle as yet.
    If he reads a lot of novels check on the prices - as you pay VAT on the non-free ebooks, some of them aren't much cheaper than paper copies, especially newer books.

14. I agree with this. I'd also say that you don't need the 3G version but I know some people prefer it so they can download books anywhere. I tend to do my actually buying on the computer at home anyway.

15. I buy loads of books through amazon and I find the kindle version is consistently cheaper than the paper copy. The only things that you might get cheaper are things you find in supermarket best seller lists and the kindle price on that sort of thing tends to come down after a while anyway.

16. I have the middle one, catmum and it does everything I need. I don't need the keyboard as if I'm looking for a book, I just come onto the laptop to find it and send it to my Kindle from there. It's a great wee device, absolutely brilliant [​IMG]

17. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

There are a couple of really detailed threads on this on the Book Club forum.
    I have a Kindle touch - it seems to do all I want it to. You can get lots of classics free and if you want to have a complete collection - eg Conan Doyle, Jane Austen - you can get them for as little as 77p.
    You can also set it up so that you get an email telling you all the free books on offer for that day - sometimes publishers/authors offer certain books free for a limited period. I have not spent more than a couple of pounds on any book for my Kindle.

18. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Where will all this lead? It always used to be the case that when visiting someone's home for the first time, you could have a quick glance through their bookshelves and discover something about the person. It would almost seem like prying if they found you fiddling with their Kindle when they went to the loo.

19. MrGator

MrGator New commenter

All this talk of new kindles is making me sad. I dropped mine last week and the screen went nuts. Amazon have said I can have a new one for £71 though. I'll have to wait until payday though!

20. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have a Kindle 3G - with keyboard...and it was the best present ever!
    It would be brilliant even just for the books. There are so many available for free....including loads that are out-of-print, so the Kindle is the only way I can get to read them.
    But I can also get newspapers for free...English and German ones (other languages are available too....read Theo's guide on the Book forum).
    And I can go online with my Kindle too!