1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thegothmother, Apr 9, 2012.

1. I only wanted to do something simple!
    I have a Kindle. My daughter also has a Kindle, on her own account. I wanted to buy a download for her, and have it sent to her Kindle. When I tried to add her details, it said I couldn't, as she already has her own account.
    Now I realise that I could let her use my card on her account, or just give her the money, but surely in this age there is a way that I can pay for the download but have it downloaded to her Kindle? Can somebody out there help me with this? Please?

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

It might be a good idea to post this on Book Club too - there's loads of advice on Kindles there :)

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'd second that. If Theo doesn't know the answer, then no-one will.

4. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Very true - in fact that's what I meant. I should have just said "ask Theo" lol

5. Tried to do something similar at Christmas and read a few posts online that said that it isn't possible- which is ridiculous. Unless it's changed since then, I can only suggest an amazon voucher.

6. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

My OH can download books to my kindle from his account, but that may be because I haven't added my own kindle to my Amazon account.

7. Can you not download the books to your pc/laptop and store them there, then use USB cable to download (or is it upload??) to your daughter's Kindle? There is a drop down option as to where to send the book when you are on amazon.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, this is possible if both kindles are registered to the same account. This makes a lot of sense if two people in the same household have kindles - you can share the books you want to, but don't have to download any of his/her books that you don't fancy.
    No, you can't do that.
    Or rather, yes you can, but then the book cannot be opened. It can only be opened on a kindle registered to the account that bought it.
    You can see the logic behind that - otherwise every book would just sell one copy, and everybody else would just plug their kindle in to the computer of the sole purchaser!
    OK., so those possibilities may not be right for you. So . . .
    So you want to buy a book for your daughter.
    Yes, that's one way. You can put your card on her account (with her password), and don't need to take her card off. I have 3 cards registered to my Amazon account, and I choose which one I want to use.
    Or you can buy an Amazon Gift Certificate and send it to her electronically, for her to use to buy a book. This is probably a lot easier than faffing around with her account number, your credit card, etc.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/gc/order-print?ie=UTF8&occasion=Amazon&design=kindle_treeboy_uk_10
    What you cannot do is what I suspect you would like to do: buy a book from Your account, and have it sent to Her kindle, as a surprise when she next opens it and turns on the wireless . . .
    Sorry!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I can download any book for the kindle onto my PC and then add it to several kindles, ie my OH, brothers and mums. Have already done this and brother as emailed my OH several books/files.

2) I did hear that you could 'lend' a book out to another kindle users
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320

3) what book is it you want?

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you can put them on other people's kindles, but if they have been bought legally from Amazon then they can't read them unless their kindles are registered to your account. It's the DRM that stops this.
    I have heard that some people can remove the DRM, but I believe that this is illegal.
    Books that don't have DRM can certainly be downloaded to other kindles, e-mailed, etc. But books bought from Amazon have DRM, so they can't.
    Yes, if instead of being an Amazon uk customer, you are a US customer at Amazon.com, and want to lend a book bought (at American prices) from the US kindle store. But books bought from Amazon UK cannot, at time of writing, be borrowed.
    There is some hope that Amazon will introduce this here some time - the publishers are not keen on this, which is what is holding it up.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

11. Also, if you are a US customer there is an option to "give as a gift" on the kindle book's page. I think that your UK login works on the USA site but I don't know how it works from there, in terms of giving a book. I have bought and given gifts on an account, but I don't know if it is possible for you as my default country is USA even though my account was set up through amazon.co.uk.

12. It's the first of The Hunger Games trilogy.

13. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

see your inbox gothmother

14. Leading on from the original question, I am breaking out into a cold sweat now that my mother has announced her intention of getting a Kindle to cut down on carrying books on holiday - at 80 years old, it is me or my brother who have to sort out the techno problems that inevitably arise when she buys the latest gadgets!!
    She does not have a computer or internet connection and has no intention of getting one - thank goodness!! But she will need to buy her books from Amazon somehow and I am not sure how to go about it. I think I can register her Kindle to my account and then buy/download any books that she wants but will she still need to connect to the internet somewhere for her Kindle to get the book? I can't quite see her sitting in a cafe with wifi trying to connect her Kindle! I guess she will have to do it when she comes to my house?
    Until trying to explain how the Kindle works to my Mum, it did not occur to me that Amazon assume that everyone has internet access, quite a lost market as I can see a few of my Mum's friends wanting a Kindle like her but none of them have computers - the silver surfers have not really stretched as far as 80 year old women in Manchester!!!
    Any simple suggestions to save my sanity?

15. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Not necessarily!
    I have a 3G Kindle....you don't even need a computer...you can search for books and buy direct from the Kindle.

16. I have a 3G Kindle....you don't even need a computer...you can search for books and buy direct from the Kindle.

Thanks Bethanie but .....
    Are 3G Kindles more expensive? I thought, like 3G phones, they would search for a wifi connection wherever they are and automatically log in, surely you need to be connected to the internet to buy books from Amazon?
    I can just see trouble ahead! I know from when I lived with my Mum for 6 months last year that she does not live in an area with free wifi, I had to use a dongle while I was there.

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

3G does cost a bit more - but it's worth it!
    The 3G Kindle has limited internet capabilities...and I have no wifi at home ...my computer is a laptop plus dongle.
    Theo would be able to explain it so much better!

18. The 3G does cost more initially, but that's a one off cost. the 3G is free through Amazon whispernet - so you don't have to pay for any internet access. You can use your wifi if you have wifi at home (which you wouldn't ever have to do) but the 3G is pretty good! I took mine on holiday with me and can access Amazon from Spain and Mexico (so far! lol) with no issues at all. The 3G is easy to control, and simple to download books.

19. My mum (seventies) has a Kindle. She tells my Dad which book she wants and he buys it on his amazon account. She can do all the rest - I'm sure that she only gets him to buy the books to "keep him busy"! If your mum has no internet, the 3G version would be ideal. The only downside is that it can be cumbersome to search for books, but if you're pretty sure what you want to buy, it's not too bad. Having said that, I personally go to my PC to buy books rather than my Kindle.