1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle help

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kit909, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Having just bought a Kindle, and admitting that I am useless and have no perseverence with gadgets.....I don't understand how to download books! The Kindle says I need to connect to Wi-Fi, but I don't have Wi-Fi. Can anyone tell me how to download without Wi-Fi (no I haven't read the instructions, I'm a man and that would hurt my ego).

2. Having just bought a Kindle, and admitting that I am useless and have no perseverence with gadgets.....I don't understand how to download books! The Kindle says I need to connect to Wi-Fi, but I don't have Wi-Fi. Can anyone tell me how to download without Wi-Fi (no I haven't read the instructions, I'm a man and that would hurt my ego).

3. sara2007

sara2007 New commenter

You need to attach your kindle to a computer using the USB cable, purchase books from Amazon, then it should sync them to your device automatically.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry, Sara, not quite right . . .
    First of all you need to download onto your normal computer (i.e. the one you will use for Kindling) the Kindle for PC app. This then registers your computer for using the Amazon books.
    and when you do, clcik the little menu choice for download to and choose download to Kindle for PC. It then downloads it to your computer.
    No, Kindle doesn't use sync. Thank goodness! That's a Steve Jobs invention of the devil.
    You then plug your Kindle into the USB and open Windows explorer twice so you can see your Kindle and your hard drive. On the latter there's a new folder now called My Kindle Content - in ther you will find your book.
    On your Kindle in Windows Explorer open the Documents folder, and drag the book over.
    Done!
    But . . . I don't know if it's still so, because it's ages since I had my first Kindle and no wi-fi, but 2 years ago you had to "prime" a new Kindle by exposing it to wi-fi at least once. I took mine to the pub, and logged it on to the wi-fi there. This registers it to your Amazon account, so you can transfer and open books that you downloaded to your registered Kindle for PC app.
    I'm not going to tell you how to do that, you can read the instructions, even if you are a man.
    And go to the Book Club, which is where all the Kindle queries are usually.
    You'll find useful threads such as:
    The Kindle Club
    Getting FREE newspapers on your Kindle - with new section.
    Free e-books for your Kindle, iRiver, Sony Reader, iPad etc.

Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

5. Got there, thank you! Ego intact.

6. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Theo, that all looks very complicated!
    All I do is buy a book from Amazon, go into the menu on my kindle, turn on wi-fi and the book automatically downloads onto my device and appears in the menu. I then switch wi-fi off to save my battery life

7. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Actually, I do download my books in sight of my computer, so I don't know whether that makes a difference. I don't buy books when out and about on public transport, fr'instance

8. I do the same as Honey Loop and it always works fine for me even in my bedroom at work where the wireless connection is notoriously unreliable.

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

That's what I do! Mine works on public transport too, but it's a 3G one if that makes any difference!

10. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Probably does, Chica, I went for the cheaper version since I knew I wouldn't be sooooo desperate for a book that I'd HAVE to buy one whilst on my way to work on the bus.

11. Yes it depends on which version you have...
    If you have the 3G one it comes connected to Amazon's own network so you can automatically download books through the 'Shop in the Kindle Store' option under the Menu button. You would need to turn WIFI on first. You can also connect to your own domestic WIFI (which is what I do as I live in the middle of nowhere and the Kindle 3G is a little weak).
    If you have the slightly cheaper non 3G one you will have to do the PC thing and download through Amazon which is really quick too and fine because most of the time you are at home when downloading books anyway.

Have fun!

12. The trouble with that Honey Loop, is the OP says they don't have WIFI at home - so if no wifi and no 3G on kindle then they will have to go through the rigmarole of downloading through the computer as Theo says.

If you have wifi at home, then it doesn't make any difference if the computer is nearby or not for downloading and using the wifi network. If you don't have wifi at home as the op says- perhaps the 3g version is a good idea!

13. It's actually really easy without Wi-Fi, I feel silly now. You just purchase the book on Amazon, plug your Kindle into the computer, a few clicks and it's done. The Kindle will never leave the flat so it's all cool

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, my instructions for setting it up the first time seem complicated. Much easier just to buy from Amazon, send it to your Kindle by WiFi.
    Couldn't agree more!
    But the point was that the O.P. <u>doesn't have WiFi,</u> so he had to be shown, step by step, how to set it up to do it via Kindle for PC and the USB.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

15. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My husband bought mine for me, and he is a bit of a geek, so of course it had to have 3G, and a keyboard etc!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I love the fact that my kindle will fit in my pocket or my smallest handbag - great for doctor/dentist/hospital waiting rooms, trains, buses etc. I can't think why it would never leave your flat.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Me too. And the wide range of books, documents, etc I've got on it means I'm never lost for something to read, study or think about, without having to tote a load of stuff around.

18. I take mine on the train but am always paranoid about leaving it on there! My brother's girlfriend who used to work in travel insurance said their most common customer phone calls were relating to Kindles that had been left in the seat pockets of aeroplanes as they're just the right size to put there and absent mindedly forget!

19. I don't have a hand bag (believe it or not), I don't go on trains or buses and I don't have reason to visit the doctors or hospital waiting rooms. It probably would come on holiday with me but I don't have one booked.

20. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Okay, so I'm confused.

I am looking into buying a Kindle on a whim. I rarely read, but I want to, and a new toy might help me get back in the habit.
    Is the basic version enough? What do I want?
    I'm concerned where it says "Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication or Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS); does not connect to WPA and WPA2 secured networks using 802.1X authentication methods; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks."
    and I don't know if that means it'll work with my network or not! Given that I live in the middle of nowhere, I don't have many (if any) opportunities for public wifi hotspots.
    I don't want to spend more than I need to, but equally I want to spend enough that it's going to be useful and hassle free! Am I better with the 3G version?
    Help?