1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle help! Theo how can I?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by thegothmother, Apr 9, 2012.

1. I've posted this on personal, hoping for a quick answer, but have been advised to post it here for Theo (and anyone else that can help):
    I only wanted to do something simple!
    I have a Kindle. My daughter also has a Kindle, on her own account. I wanted to buy a download for her, and have it sent to her Kindle. When I tried to add her details, it said I couldn't, as she already has her own account.
    Now I realise that I could let her use my card on her account, or just give her the money, but surely in this age there is a way that I can pay for the download but have it downloaded to her Kindle? Can somebody out there help me with this? Please?

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Theo will be along with the definitive answer...he knows <u>everything</u> about Kindles!

Until then, I have two thoughts...
    1) If it is not Amazon...some sites I buy/download from I send the file to Calibre and then convert the bookfile to Mobi and send it to my Kindle...at this stage you could just give the Kindle e-mail address for your Mum's device.
    2 )If it is Amazon....log on as your Mum! Ask her nicely (or ask your Dad if it is a surprise!) for the password she uses top log-on. Buy the book, but use your payment details.....You might need to 'manage' her account...swap her credit card details for yours, buy the book, and then go back and put in her credit card details again (so future purchases don;t come out of your account!)

3. It is an Amazon account - I'm trying to find a sensible way of doing this so that I could buy her a book for a present - it kind of loses the present idea if I get her to log on as me!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm suggesting you do it the other way....you log on as her....you need to know her Amazon password for this - which is why I thought your Dad (or another family member) could help....and then you might want her credit card number (you want Amazon to take the money from your card!....so you swap her details for yours and then swap back after the purchase)....yes it's complicated, and you need someone to help you get her password and credit card number!!!!.....I never offered an <u>easy</u> solution!

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Can't you just get book vouchers online from Amazon and then, when she logs on, she can decide what to buy. It will tell you how much you have left on them each time you buy.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK.
    So you want to buy a book for your daughter.
    Yes, that's one way. You can put your card on her account (with her password), and don't need to take her card off. I have 3 cards registered to my Amazon account, and I choose which one I want to use.
    Or you can buy an Amazon Gift Certificate and send it to her electronically, for her to use to buy a book. This is probably a lot easier than faffing around with her account number, your credit card, etc.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/gc/order-print?ie=UTF8&occasion=Amazon&design=kindle_treeboy_uk_10
    What you cannot do is what I suspect you would like to do: buy a book from Your account, and have it sent to Her kindle, as a surprise when she next opens it and turns on the wireless . . .
    Sorry!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

7. Thanks Theo, that was exactly what I wanted to do! However, as I can't, I'll sort something else out. It rather puts paid to plans we had as a family to get my brother a Kindle and keep him provided with things to read though!

8. Unless it's registered to your Amazon account and you buy him the books!

9. Lol, that won't work! He's Mr Techno gadgetman.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In which case probably nobody will need to buy him books.
    *cough cough*
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

11. 576

576 Established commenter

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My understanding is that at the moment, this is limited to giving the gift to an Amazon.com registered Kindle. We have been waiting for a long time for this to be transferred to the UK site too.
    I could be wrong, though.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

13. sianna

sianna New commenter

Am I wrong in thinking that you can have several Kindles registered to one account and then all the users of those Kindles can access the books downloaded to that account? I think it is six Kindles ... did I make this up?

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that's right.
    I believe that it is up to 6 Kindles or other devices. But having said that I have just looked. I have 4 Kindles (I know, I know, don't say it), plus a tablet with the Kindle app on it, plus 2 computers in different places each with the Kindle for PC.
    So that makes 7.
    Update - 3 computers - have just checked my netbook, that has Kindle for PC too.
    So that makes 8.
    And have recently this week been reading the same book on 3 of them (2 Kindles and the tablet) depending where I am.
    Best wishes