1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle Fire in the Classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissBeatrice, Nov 19, 2017.

1. MissBeatrice

MissBeatrice New commenter

As with many schools, our budget is very tight but I have been asked to look into researching tablets for each class in our single form entry infant school. We would be able to afford enough fires for one each/one between two. iPads seem out of the question but I was wondering could we use Kindle Fires instead for simple researching purposes (as we have 2 computers in each classroom for CP)?

2. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I got one a few years ago as it was so cheap but it really limits its users. This was most obvious with apps - even though it's officially an Android operating system, you can't get apps from Google Play and instead have to use the Amazon store which has a much more limited range. I also found that VLC (the video playing app) struggled to play things I downloaded to it.

I had to play extra to stop it showing me advertising when I turned it on.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I totally misunderstood the thread title.......

4. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Me too at first. Especially as there's another thread about soldering in a primary school.

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

One of our schools uses them - They're fine. No problems.

I suppose it depends what you want to use them for...