1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle DX and research papers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oliverferret, Jan 22, 2011.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

Having had 100s of my books ruined by a recent flood at my home, I am thinking of spending some of the insurance money on a kindle instead.
    I would like something on to which I can download, read & annotate research papers - a search on google suggests that I need a dx. Has anyone got a kindle dx and can you buy them in the UK? Unless I'm being very stupid (which is possible) I can only see dx accessories on the amazon uk website and not the actual machine.
    If anyone has used a kindle dx in this way I'd be grateful for your opinion on how easy it is to use and any negatives. I usually download load research papers on to my computer in a word format rather than pdf which I gather you have to use for the kindle dx - what are the pros and cons of this? Also is the memory sufficient for a large number of papers?
    Thanks!

2. oliverferret

Having had 100s of my books ruined by a recent flood at my home, I am thinking of spending some of the insurance money on a kindle instead.
    I would like something on to which I can download, read & annotate research papers - a search on google suggests that I need a dx. Has anyone got a kindle dx and can you buy them in the UK? Unless I'm being very stupid (which is possible) I can only see dx accessories on the amazon uk website and not the actual machine.
    If anyone has used a kindle dx in this way I'd be grateful for your opinion on how easy it is to use and any negatives. I usually download load research papers on to my computer in a word format rather than pdf which I gather you have to use for the kindle dx - what are the pros and cons of this? Also is the memory sufficient for a large number of papers?
    Thanks!

3. Just had a look at the DX - one of the cons is that it doesn't preserve page numbers - could be an issue if you are trying to quote from it. I'm not sure if you can annotate though.

4. oliverferret

Ignore this - I'm showing my ignorance here - I download them as pdf but save them in Word.

5. You can annotate but you get "locations" rather than page numbers on books - not so sure about PDFs. You want to go onto the Books forum and find Theogriff's Kindle thread. I love my Kindle but I don't use it for PDFs but THeo knows everything about them!