1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

kindle and calibre help please

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lookingfornemo, Nov 13, 2011.

1. I have calibre on my pc and I downloaded it to use with my sony ereader. Having collected my new Kindle yesterday and been amazed at how easy it is to use, can I use the same calibre with the kindle or do I need a separate one for the kindle? Is there any point in having it for the kindle as it seems so straightforward to use? Will the books I've bought from Waterstones convert to be read on my kindle? Any help gratefully received to this kindle convert!

2. I bought my kindle last week and have been playing with it all week! I have added books directly from Calibre but find it quickest to use Calibre to convert the books to a MOBI format, then just drag the file onto my kindle 'documents' folder. There is probably a quicker way to do it, but I'm still learning too!
    I don't think you have to have a separate version of Calibre for two different ereaders, especially if you are only using it to convert files.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congrats on getting your Kindle! I thought I loved my Sony e-reader too, until I got my wonderful Kindle!
    Q1 You can use the same calibre - just change the set up so that it converts things to MOBI for the lkindle to read. It can either be dragged across or e-mailed directly from Calibre
    Q2 Your next Q seems to suggest that you were just using the Calibre to move things to the Sony. You can also use it to convert non-DRM stuff to MOBI, and then get it to e-mail it directly to your free Kindle address via wifi.
    AND you can get calibre to download newspapers for free and send them to your Kindle|:
    Read and bump this: Getting FREE newspapers on your Kindle - with new section.
    Q3 No, not your bought books - they are DRM protected. Other EPUB books that you may have CAN be converted by Calibre to MOBI.
    And try this straight away:
    http://www.jungle-search.com/UK/kindle.php
    On top RH there's a little box called "Add me". They send you an e-mail most days with free books on Amazon. Lots may not be to your taste, but you can often get really good stuff that is reduced for perhaps just a few hours.
    And this, of course:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=sv_kinc_1?ie=UTF8&node=341689031
    Scroll down a bit, then on the right there's a tab for Top 100 free books.
    Start "buying" the freebies - you can always zap them if you don't like them.
    Have a search through this Book Forum - there are threads telling you about getting free books.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars