1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle - advice please!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by seakay, Mar 27, 2011.

1. seakay

seakay New commenter

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had experience of using a kindle - good or bad. I'm thinking of getting one for Mrs Seakay as she mentioned the other day that she thought they were a nifty little thing and she "got" why people used them.

I have no idea what to get, what they do really or even how they work. We're not technophobes - we both have iphones, laptops etc... but to be honest I'm not sure why someone would want to off a kindle.

Thanks!

2. They are lovely! Lots of books all in one place and easy to transport. Makes buying books very easy too.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have a Kindle and love it!
    If you pop over to the 'book' forum on TES, you'll find a few threads that will tell you how wonderful the Kindle is!
    I love the sheer number of books the Kindle can store...and the portability of it..and the free newspapers (English and foreign papers are available) ...and the limnited internet capability...and the oodles of free books....and the fact that I can have out-of-print books on the Kindle.

4. Mr Twig bought me a kindle for my birthday and I love it! Thought I would miss the whole paper book experience, but the convenience of the kindle outweighs this. It is a nice size and weight to carry around and means I can take my whole library on holiday with me! My version has both wireless and 3G connection so I can download books pretty much anywhere. I also have the leather cover with built in light so Mr Twig doesn't lose any beauty sleep if I want to read in bed. Would strongly recommend it.

5. i love love love my kindle

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Best piece of electronic kit I ever bought

7. I love mine!!! Especially for reading in bed, sometimes holding a thick book can be a pain but not on the kindle!

8. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Most excellent gadget. read in bed every night and also take to work for lunchtime with downloaded newspapers on it.

9. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I have an I-River reader and a kindle. I love and use them both. There are pros and cons to both of them - namely with the I-River, I can buy books from any e-book shop and often cheaper than Amazon, plus it stores and plays mp3 tracks so I can listen to music as I read. On the con side, it was more expensive than the kindle and takes slightly longer to 'turn' a page. Also, I have to be connected to a computer to download a book.
    With the kindle, the page turning is instant, books download straight from the Amazon site and it was cheaper than the other e-book reader. I also like the fact that Amazon often do good quality free novels by established authors.However, I can only buy books from Amazon and it doesn't play my mp3s.
    So I use mine for different purposes and never leave home without one or the other.

10. seakay

seakay New commenter

Wow talk about speedy! Thanks!

Which one do you think is better: The Kindle Wi-fi or The Kindle Wi-fi 3g. There's about 40 quid in it...

11. I have the wi-fi one and have never wished for the 3G connection. If you travel a great deal and don't have access to wifi while doing it the 3G would be useful.

12. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I opted the cheaper option, simply because it was cheaper and I figured I'd never be so desperate for a book that I couldn't wait until I got near a computer to order it.

13. seakay

seakay New commenter

Even better then! I'll opt for the £111 version. Thanks for the speedy advice everyone!

14. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

You can get free books from other sites, convert them using calibre, and then transfer to your Kindle. I'm no techno whizz, but I've done it loads of times following Theo's guide over in the book club forum.
    You can also use your Kindle as an mp3 player. I don't have an mp3 player, and had never tried downloading music before getting the Kindle. But I've managed to download some music onto my Kindle, plus loads of podcasts from the BBC ready for my Radio 4 fix in the summer - we're going backpacking for a month and I always start to miss Radio 4 after a couple of weeks.
    Subscribe to jungle-search and you can get email alerts letting you know whenever Amazon have newly listed free books for the Kindle

15. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

cariad - thanks for that, but I am, by nature, a lazy beast and can't be faffed by converting. My I-River just does what it does without effort, as does the kindle. I'm happy with my devices, but I'm sure seakay might find that good info.

16. I actually had a kindle in my hands in John Lewis today

I thought it was broken and then my husband pointed out that it was not touch screen

17. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Are you sure it was a kindle, rf? I thought that kindle was amazon's baby and not retailing anywhere else

18. Yes I am sure

They are demonstrating it in John Lewis Stores ... not selling it there though

19. My mistake ... they are selling it too

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The Book Club has a couple of dedicated Kindle threads.
    Including this one:
    Free e-books for your Kindle, iRiver, Sony Reader, iPad etc.

happy Kindling!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!