1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindle 3g

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DCFC, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hi, has anyone got/used a Kindle 3g? It says on the write up you can access the net on it. I was thinking it would be read research PDF's on it but the access to the net would good. Could it work as Tablet? - to access emails etc

2. Hi, has anyone got/used a Kindle 3g? It says on the write up you can access the net on it. I was thinking it would be read research PDF's on it but the access to the net would good. Could it work as Tablet? - to access emails etc

3. I have one.
    I really wouldn't recommend it for the type of use you have in mind.
    It's painfully slow and difficult to use in the web setting.
    This is because of the controls which are primitive to say the least and the screen which doesn't refresh like a normal screen.
    Felt like smashing it when I tried it out for tis purpose.
    Great EBook reader though.
    Since I got one, I read a lot more and have cut down on my trolling considerably so everyone has gained.

4. Thanks

5. All these devices : Book Readers, Phones, Navigators, PDAs, Tablets, MP3/Video players will eventually all collapse into one of two types of device - Phone sized and Tablet size. I wouldn't buy anything yet - if I had to I'd buy a cheap chiPiad running Android.

6. ICT Don

ICT Don New commenter

A lot of devices already do all these things. I would say eBook readers are slightly different in that the display is easier to read for extended periods compared to a backlit screen.
    I would prefer to read a book on a Kindle rather than on an iPad and would hope these devices remain a seperate entity.

7. I love my knidle for reading but for the web - not so much, although the novelty of a black and white web is interesting.

For PDFs it's easier to download them with a USB cable - they are readable on the kindle.