1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kindergarten parents evening - help needed!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ginlane, Apr 22, 2019.

1. ginlane

ginlane New commenter

Hi all.
    I somehow got myself a job as an assistant English teacher in a private kindergarten in Austria.
    I have 0 qualifications or history in teaching and have never done this before.
    I'm 4 months into the job, they tell me that in 3 weeks I have to do a parents evening which involves doing a talk for about 15 to 20 minutes.
    Now fear is kicking in.
    There are 4 classrooms in the kindergarten each comprising of approximately 20 kids each.
    The other 3 classrooms have one qualified German teacher who only speaks German and the assistant teacher who only speaks the target language.
    My class is the odd one out. Both my qualified German teacher and myself must only speak in English. (The parents of our class want their kids to go to a bilingual school after leaving kindergarten)
    The German teacher I'm with is unhelpful and frankly clueless, so no help there.
    They are mostly German children and we are using the immersion method.
    I can't speak for 2 minutes let alone 20 and have winged this job so far.
    I'm really hoping someone out there can save my bacon
    kind regards Ginlane

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My advice would be to speak with the head of the school (or whatever the role is called in your kindergarten - the person who is in charge) and ask what the expectations are. It's their school and they are going to want you to do this talk confidently in front of the paying parents. If you aren't feeling confident, they need to help you. Find out what they want you to talk about, why they want you to do it rather than the qualified teacher (maybe because they want to show off your native English - in which case, you could say you're happy to do that if you're told what to say). Phrase your questions in a positive way, ie. you want to give a good impression to the parents, so you need x and y in order to be able to do that effectively. Good luck!