1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kilts

Discussion in 'Personal' started by l0vaduck, Dec 9, 2011.

1. I dug out a smart kilt -type skirt from my wardrobe - in a rather fetching Black Watch tartan (green and navy blue).
    I have had quite a lot of comments from students, including:
    "That's my friend's school uniform, Miss. Did you go to that school?" Two or three like this.
    "Why are you wearing a safety pin in your skirt, Miss?"
    I remember wearing kilts growing up, and this particular one was bought for an interview, in the early nineties, I think. It seems this is one of those fashions which hasn't come around again!
    Anyone else got a kilt?

2. I dug out a smart kilt -type skirt from my wardrobe - in a rather fetching Black Watch tartan (green and navy blue).
    I have had quite a lot of comments from students, including:
    "That's my friend's school uniform, Miss. Did you go to that school?" Two or three like this.
    "Why are you wearing a safety pin in your skirt, Miss?"
    I remember wearing kilts growing up, and this particular one was bought for an interview, in the early nineties, I think. It seems this is one of those fashions which hasn't come around again!
    Anyone else got a kilt?

3. My sons have kilts.
    I remember having a mini kilt way way back in the 60s - worn with long white socks I think. Very fetching!

4. For what kind of occasions do they wear them?

5. I did have a kilt, but my husband put in the WASHING MACHINE. I like kilts. I've also been looking for one of those maxi tartan skirts from the 70s but so far have had no luck...

6. Kilts are cool. More for men though. I wouldn't wear one to work.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I love a man in a kilt! Best thing about weddings. I used to have a kilt that I wore to school circa mid 90's. Not the type worn by ladies in tourists shops,a shorter fashionable version. It's still in the wardrobe but probably doesn't fit anymore!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Kilts are very fashionable for men - they've become the easy option for any dressy occasion. For a period during my young adulthood no self-respecting fashionable young man would have been caught dead in one but now there is a huge range to choose from, not all of them in tartan.
    I've had kilts in various colours and lengths over the years - almost always worn with thick black tights and a black jumper. I particularly liked a short black and white kilt I had some years back. I also had short, tartan lycra skirts in the mid 80s (I think)...again worn with thick tights and black jumpers.
    The standard knee length style with pin is a bit frumpy in my opinion - it was the style and length which suited me least. I'm the wrong age now - they'll all look a bit frumpy on me.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Make one, I got some gorgeous pink/orange tartan, ok not authentic, from a remnant counter and will make a long skirt to wear at Christmas.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It really suits any shape and size of men,unlike suits that only guys who are used to wear them look good in. Do even get me started on those morning suits type things!
    You are right. Ladies who work in the tourist office or a the local castle!

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

So unfair. We get a wedding invite and I think,what on earth am I going to wear? Even if I find a suitable dress,there's the matter of shoes/bag,jacket. All my husband needs to do is going to the kilt hire shop to book a whole outfit for the day.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I had a kilt when I was about six.I had to thread a leather belt thingy through a slot in the waist band and fasten it to a buckle on the right, then wrap the front part round my very round tummy and fasten another buckle on the left. then somehow get the straps from the back over my shoulders, making sure they were crossed at the back and button them through the double thickness waistband at the front. It was a b l o o d y nightmare getting dressed. The jumper that went under it was well washed handmedown stiff woollen one with a shrunk neck that just about took my ears off. I think my mother was really sadistic.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My school uniform skirt aged 8-11 was a grey woollen kilt with a pin. That put me off for life!

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i have never worn a kilt although my wife's family are scottish.......but i do look good in a dress suit ..or even an evening suit...or did ....alas the middle profie changed.

15. I'm officially frumpy. Although mine isn't knee-length - it's more calf length.
    I like it.

16. impis

impis New commenter

Mr Impis wears kilts fairly regularly as he's the Pipe Major of a Scottish Pipe Band.

17. I had a kilt when I was about six.I had to thread a leather belt thingy through a slot in the waist band and fasten it to a buckle on the right, then wrap the front part round my very round tummy and fasten another buckle on the left. then somehow get the straps from the back over my shoulders, making sure they were crossed at the back and button them through the double thickness waistband at the front. It was a b l o o d y nightmare getting dressed. The jumper that went under it was well washed handmedown stiff woollen one with a shrunk neck that just about took my ears off. I think my mother was really sadistic.
    Oh linden - are we sisters? I remember those vividly and painfully! I also remember a petticoat that went under the whole ensemble. It was soft on the top half but joined to a stiff sticky out bit at the bottom and where the two met was a row of intensely itchy stitching. Stop fidgeting, slap was the refrain of my childhood.

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I had a kilt as a little girl....despite not having Scottish ancestry (should that be Scots?...what's the difference?)
    I never liked wearing my kilt. But then I hated most of my clothes! The kilt was heavy and scratchy! But I loved the big pin!
    Now I am older, I have learned to appreciate the kilt....but when worn by men. Very, very sexy!

19. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

*like*