1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kids' TV

Discussion in 'Personal' started by billboakes, Aug 9, 2015.

1. A subject that has not had to exercise me for 20 yrs. I trog down the Sky menu looking for things that might enetrtain Littlie during the 30 mins she's too tired to to anything else but trip over, and find her Utter Favourite, Peppa Pig. I can throw all sorts of snotty high-brow claps and boos at it, but truth is, it's her favourite thing on TV.

My children's favourite thing on Tv was Thomas The Tank Engine, so I bought the DVD, thinking it would be favoured. Nothing happens. Ringo intones, and some model trains move about a bit. Am wondering how devoid my kids' experience of TV must have been to find this irresistible.

Tscha. New millennium!

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

All my grandsons loved both Thomas the Tank Engine and Peppa Pig at one time. They've moved on to other things now but I have told the younger ones that Tiny Pops doesn't work on my TV - it's a dreadful American children's channel.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I hadn't realised, until a few years ago, just why the shopkeeper in Mr Benn "magically appears". It makes the animation so much easier. Nor did I remember how little animation there was in most of the things I had watched.

My biggest problem is Bagpuss. I watched it in black and white, so I was somewhat perturbed when he made a comeback and turned out to be pink. I had (understandably) assumed that the stripes were ginger.

My daughter (nearly 9) will actually still watch Mr Benn and Ivor the Engine, which I find rather surprising. I'm not sure she's forgiven me for getting rid of her Peppa Pig DVDs yet.

There is a Camberwick Green episode whose plot line makes it seem like a spoof. Owing to two people visiting the bakery in one day, Mickey Murphy runs out of flour, so he sets off with his children to see Windy Miller. It's a hot day, and Windy has been drinking cider. "Cider is good to drink, but it makes you sleepy." So the Murphy children find Windy Miller in a drunken stupor, and have to wake him before they can whistle for the wind. I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed now.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Urgh - Pepa Pig creeps me out. Kids have rotten taste. Daughter's tv choices are usually pretty limited (as I'm a cat's bum mouthed spoilsport) but she's learned how to use Netflix and gets up early in the morning to watch it - been checking what she's been watching and Adventure Time is her favourite. I'm ok with that.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I LOVED Danger Mouse as a kid.

6. tidal

tidal New commenter

I'm older than you (lots)

Bill and Ben
    Tales of the Riverbank
    Woodentops

I was too young to try Muffin the Mule (lucky me)

But having younger siblings I also got to see many of the later programmes
    I was particularly fond of The Herbs [​IMG]

7. DogsareNOTstupid

DogsareNOTstupid New commenter

I have a niece who will be two in another month or so. She loves Peppa Pig.

Also "Dora the Explorer' which was also a huge hit at SeaWorld. don't know if that's just an Aussie thing?.

8. I really loathe Dora The Explorer. At least PP is self-mocking. The Talent Day one was a classic!

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

I like Peppa Pig (the show - Peppa as a character is annoying). The scene where she hangs up on Suzie Sheep is one of the funniest things I have ever seen on kids TV.

In the Night Garden is my son's favourite. I don't get it. He only really watches opening and closing credits, he doesn't watch the cartoon itself.

I like the new Thomas, Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom and Tickety Toc.

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I loved Pipkins with Hartley the Hare. My Nursery teacher was called Mrs Hartley and loved that she had the same name.

It was the Tweenies when my kids were young. The characters had similar ages and charateristics to my kids and my nieces. My eldest niece was definitely Bossy Bella.

11. The Whistling one! Brilliant!

I don't like CGI. I like the old-fashioned animation e.g. the original Postman Pat.

12. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

My boys loved Trap Door & Thomas. I trained them to love the videos I had of Pogles Wood and The Herbs.

I lived in Singapore during my earliest tv memories - so it was Japanese animation all the way

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkzvZf7T6jw&spfreload=10]

13. Loved this theme tune!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCJkVTBSq0M

14. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCJkVTBSq0M]

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The opening and closing credits are lovely. I like the tune, it's so gentle and soothing, time to snuggle up with a little one.

My youngest two grandsons loved Peppa Pig but it has been criticised (in the Guardian and also by my husband) as portraying female characters as competent and all powerful and male characters as buffoons. Sounds reasonable to me ;).

16. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Just wait until they get old enough for Phineas & Ferb ... so good it's wasted on children, but it takes a few viewings to get into the regular patterns. Very, very clever plots.

My eldest was of the Teletubbies generation ... what the heck was THAT all about?!?!

17. Quote function is a black box.

"Peppa Pig ... has been criticised (in the Guardian and also by my husband) as portraying female characters as competent and all powerful and male characters as buffoons."

As we toiled around Tuscany in 40 degrees of shadeless blazing sun, I said to MrBill, soi-disant map-reader extraordinaire, "We're lost, aren't we." And he said "Errr...yes."

It was humourless smartarse Mummy Pig and crestfallen but well-meaning Daddy Pig to a tee. I hate myself.

18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

These little films on CBBC are fantastic. I make a point of watching them with my daughter. :)

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bEGoq0AlIU]

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Which you suggest that I am older than you, Tidal, but then I suspected that.

I do remember Muffin the Mule, along with Terry Hall and Lenny the Lion (The Lenny the Lion Show ran from 1957 to 1960), Mr Pastry and Whack-O.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I remember all those too nomad. I can remember getting a TV (big box with tiny screen) for the first time and watching Muffin the Mule and Lenny the Lion with awe. Also Picturebook, Rag Tag and Bobtail, Andy Pandy etc.