1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

kids told about my results from when i was in school!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kgac2554, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Hi, Please give me your opinions/advice. This week at work a pupil told me "I know what grades you got at a level miss as my mother told me" I thought he was joking but then told me my grades!!I was soo shocked!
    The background to the story is that the chids father is also a teacher in my department, so i guess he has taken my CV home when i applied and/or told his wife. I have since been asked and told by other children that this child has given this information to many of my pupils - including sixth form. I did not get an A in the subject I teach and it would seem they are using this as a tool against me:(
    Should I just let the matter go or do i have grounds to make a complaint? If so would anything be done or would it just make the matter even worse?
    Soo upset that my private information is being discussed!
    Id really appreciate any thoughts

2. 576

576 Established commenter

I'd speak to the teacher concerned and see what they say.
    But application forms & the information on them is confidential and shouldn't have been seen or discussed with the family.
    This is more important when you have a child in the school.

And I know how you feel - my A level grades are far from fabulous.

3. Exactly my thoughts! Whatever job you go into! Especially if this information is starting to leak into lessons when you're teaching. Best wishes.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I find this completely unacceptable and would be seeing the head about this. It's a huge breach of confidentiality. Make sure you speak to your head on Monday to explain what's going on.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The information on your application form should never have left the head's office, let alone the school. The person responsible for this has a lot of explaining to do. I would even argue that it's gross professional misconduct.

6. You have clear grounds for professional misconduct as well as a breach of the Data Protection Act which requires personal data be secure. Take some soundings from colleagues whose opinion you trust, and get an opinion from your regional union office. But bear in mind that no matter how sound your case, the consequences can't always be controlled. Also remember that Prof Brian Cox (he of Mysteries of the Universe) allegedly only got a D for his A-level maths. So it may be better to fire that at the kids. A-levels are not the only route to a qualification to teach. I got into teacher training college with just 6 GCE O levels. I ended up with a Cert Ed and followed that with three degrees but not a single A-level !

7. I wouldn't bother with this. I would contact my union and have them file an official complaint regarding this. If the school don't take it seriously, contact the police. No excuse for this! If a fellow teacher doesn't know the boundaries here, [​IMG]he should not be in a position of trust.

8. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I have little to add beyond the good advice you have already been given, except to confirm others' comments that this is a serious breach of the Data Protection Act. Involve your union and then make a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner.
    https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx

9. chriszwinter1

I can only agree with my fellow posters. Whoever is reponsible for this should face the full force of the law. It goes way beyond the school.

10. Whilst the above advice may be the correct way to proceed if it were me in your situation I know I would prefer to go to the Head in the first instance and only take it further if you had no luck there. I would make sure you tell the head that the man is denying saying this and state that there were witnesses at the time the child spoke and give the name.
    Good luck to you whichever route you take. this is a horrible situation to be in.

11. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Sorry if I'm not following this properly - has the teacher admitted taking the stuff home and talking about it?

12. Hi again
    The father has said to me he does not know anything about it.. and the son has denied ever saying it to me! It makes me soo mad that he is prepared to lie like this. I just hope the other pupil on his desk heard (and is willing to admit hearing it) :(
    So no admissions have been made yet at all :(

13. Just a sneaky thought - if anyone mentions your grade - just tell them you got an A in everything a first class honours and a distinction etc etc etc.
    Now - how could they possibly know any different?

14. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Oh for heaven's sake - is he saying that you have made this all up? Why on earth would you do that? What a bizarre thing to imagine or make up! What would you possibly have to gain?

Why is the boy refusing to be taught by you? It sounds like a guilty conscience to me. Am I right in understanding that the teacher himself doesn't deny discussing your A levels with his family?

You might feel you get on well with this member of staff, but he has treated you with great disrespect by taking your personal details home and discussing them, probably in a disparaging way, with his family, one of whom goes to the school. So not only has be been untrustworthy and disrespectful, but stupid too.

I think you need to see the head pronto and give the name of any of the pupils who may have overheard this conversation. Explain to the head why you didn't see him/her immediately by saying that you didn't want to cause ill-feeling or get anyone into trouble so you tried to resolve the matter amicably yourself, but now the child is refusing to be taught by you and is more or less accusing you of lying, you feel that it ought to be passed further up.

15. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Sorry have just read one of your replies saying that the father denies it.

I still think you should see the head - as I said previously, are the pupil and his father saying that you have made this up? How come the pupil could quote your exact grades? If I were the Head I would certainly smell a rat. If nothing else it will alert people to what has gone on and make them take more care in the future.

Obviously the boy does not want to be in your class because he knows he DID say those things to you and that he had dropped a massive clanger and possibly got his father into trouble with his big mouth.

16. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

The boy can (just about) be excused on the grounds of immaturity and inexperience.
    The father however ...

17. chriszwinter1

This is a serious breach of the Data Protection Act. Go to the HT. He's the one with the responsibiity for ensuring that the data is protected.

18. I'm not sure it is a 'provable' data protection violation. In that the information was most likely passed on verbally and the source of the 'data' is not something which could only have been obtained by access to the schools records.
    It could be that you have simply discussed your A level grades with colleagues in the staff room and that this has been passed down. It would be difficult to prove that the teacher could only have come to know the information from the records as there are other explanations (Lies obviously - but not easy to prove, a bit too grey to pile in with I'd say) - quite dark grey though.
    I'd just tell him that you think you would like an explanation and preferrably an apology and reassurance that it wont go any further.
    If he refuses or denies - go up the line - saying you think you deserve an explanation and that under the circumstances you feel the son should be removed from your class until the situation is resolved.

19. chriszwinter1

I've just had a look at three application forms via the jobs link. All three forms had the word "confidential" on them. Either it means something or it doesn't. Those who fill those forms in have the right to assume that those who read them are bound by that word "confidential".
    You gave the father the chance to deal with it privately, and you're not satisfied with his response. You might give the HT the chance to uncover the truth and then deal with the offenders. You and you alone decide if you're happy with the outcome. If not, I'd go along with nonameneeded's suggestion.
    We all deserve better than this. It stinks.