1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kids Shakespeare plays?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by k-jayne, Feb 22, 2011.

1. <font size="1">Hi,I've been looking for some Shakespeare play-scripts suitable for use with my Year 5 class. Does anybody know where I can get some from? I've got the narrative Shakespeare stories that we can use to write play-scripts from, but wanted some examples for us to look at and act out.
    Thanks loads in advance
    K x.

</font>

2. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I have a very, very edited version of 'The Tempest' uploaded on the resource bank. If you click on my name at the top of this post, it should direct you to my uploads.
    It's mainly narration with some of the actual script added in. Might be useful?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.shakespeare4kidz.com/putonaplay

4. Thanks SleighBelle. I'll have a look.

And Msz. Thanks for the link. I have already been on S4K and got some great stuff off there. Think their playscripts not &pound;200 each though. Wanted some that I could compare really.

6. Msz

&pound;200! [​IMG]

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Hey I'll do it for £150!!!

The RSC has some resources for KS1/2, but they are hugely expensive as well.

I just use some books and we have a narrator. Look at Shakespeare stories Collection on amazon.

I have a book with 'famous scenes' that I use in Shakespeare Club. I can't give you a reference for it right now as it is at school and we are on half term. Not translated into childspeak, but year 3-6 can all follow what is happening.

It would be cool to have some full kids plays as well though.

8. Msz

&pound;149 final offer!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL

Actually thinking about the amount of work involved and the tediousness of it...Msz can have the gig!

I'll buy a copy of the full set for £100 when you are done though please! :)

10. Msz

I thought it was per play!

11. Msz

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ooooo Fantastic! Might need to purchase those...need to check exchange rates first though.

You might get paid £149 for writing each script, but I'm not paying that to buy them! :p

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They don't set out the scripts the way I would ask my class to do so, but hey ho...they'll do!

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Wish we could edit...meant to say 'THANK YOU!'

For the fun and humour as well as the plays.

15. Msz

you are welcome [​IMG]

16. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

17. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

If you're just looking for scripts for classroom work rather than performance, then try to get hold of the Leon Garfield Animated Shakespeare versions. There is a very expensive used copy on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Romeo-Juliet-Shakespeare-Animated-Tale/dp/0434962341/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298483927&sr=1-7
    But your local library service might have some, or it may even be in school. There was a whole series, including TV animations, and they're essentially abridged for children so they have much of the key language and quotations, without having to wade through the whole play. I think it's a tragedy they're not still widely available.

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have a CD of the animated tales, actually that is a lie I have a set of 6 CDs, they might be DVDs actually, not very sure of all this new fangled stuff. Brilliant and the kids love them. End of term 20 mins treat, or 10 starts on chart treat when extra break is out cos of rain. (I have cultivated sad geeky children who prefer Shakespeare to any other film and am proud of it!)

Never seen an accompanying script though...would be fab.

19. Msz

I've used the Animated Tales along with the Shakespeare Stories to study The Tempest and Macbethwith Y2 children never too soon to start.