1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kids being rude in the street

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by halogirl5, Jul 25, 2015.

1. It being the holidays and me not living in my catchment area, I was a bit shaken up to have a group of pupils shouting my surname whilst on a quiet walk with my husband and dog. This was not 'hi Miss' this was rude and intimidating. It doens't happen often, but similar has happened before over the two years I've been at the school. Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with it? Has it happened to any of you? just would help not to feel alone with this. I did not react but it is intimidating and makes you feel like you have zero respect from the people you are trying to help at work. I am a permanent cover supervisor (not sure if this makes a difference I know they try it on with occasional staff but still) and tend to have a fairly positive relationship with most pupils.

Any advice, moral support, ideas, strategies? I realise its them showing off for their mates but I mean, does it get easier the longer I am in school or not? Feeling a bit shaken up and mad :(

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I am a supply teacher and sometimes when I walk around a school, certain students will shout out my name and sometimes I can tell they are being friendly and at other times it does feel intimidating. On school grounds it is somewhat different since I can report it if I feel intimated; being in a public place is different.

You did exactly the right thing: you ignored it. No matter how hard you work, there will a small minority that you won't have respect from although you are trying to help them and there is also the element as you say of the students behaving rudely to get credibility from their friends.

This might sound a bit weird, but if I am going somewhere say like into town and I don't want to be recognised by students I will wear sunglasses and a hat. I don't do it every time but if I just feel like I don't want to be recognised, I will wear sunglasses and a hat. Sometimes I go into town and I don't mind being recognised by students and will stop and chat if they seem like they want to. I haven't been shouted at in town, but I know a lot of students who would probably shout if they saw me.

Just keep in mind that it doesn't happen often, it is not the majority and as you say it is children playing up for their mates.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

It's a public order offence. Report it to the police.

4. Thank you for both responses. Am I allowed to do this without letting the school know first do you know?

5. We're in the school holidays now, so if you're able to name the pupils in question - then their parents can deal with it.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I've been away from the UK (overseas teaching) for the last 14 years. Reflecting back on some of the behaviours I witnessed and/or experienced first hand in the UK prior to leaving,I often wonder why Police aren't brought in more often.
    If a pupil calls you an offensive name, steals something from you, hits you then, as S81-82 says, the police should be called whether on school premises or not.

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Agree entirely....the Police should probably be called more often when incidents like the one in the original post happens. I have changed my views entirely. I used to think calling the Police was the last option after other measures like warning had been used, but I agree now that the Police should be called if students are harassing people.