1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kids being 'dumped' in Technology at KS4

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by the name is, Jan 18, 2011.

1. We get this continually- when the going gets tough in Languages or music or BTEC PE they suddenly appear in Food but start complaining they never wanted to do it- but the other subject was too hard. Then when they never bring ingredients and say written work is boring and CMT complain when they don't achieve target grades.
    The smarter kids clearly have sussed out where their mates are and ask to drop a " difficult" subject- and ask to be put inet a certain option within Design( but really with their mates)
    And while I am on my soap box- do you get students newly arrived at the school near the end of year 10 or even mid way through year 11? Long term absentees mysteriously disappear off the register to conveniently make room for the new students( who never have much interest in the subject anyway) but are told to do it to make up their timetable.
    That's why I am always delighted when I have the full quota in my classes at the start of the year- as I know they cant squeeze in any " drop outs" ....well CMT always try to squeeze a couple of extra's in thinking I can't count.

2. This only happens occasionally as we usually have full groups to start with. However what we find is that they have already been "filtered" & told to do our subject as they are more "likely" to achieve in D & T . Most of the time it works in our favour - as when the do achieve our value added is very good compared to other depts, and on the very odd occassion when a kid becomes "dangerous" we can have him/her removed on the grounds of safety having done a risk assessment.

3. Lucky you- we have never succeeded in having any students removed on the grounds of being a safety risk- one student whom we had repeatedly requested to be removed- but were refused having been told that he had improved- kindly punched HOD and then was excluded.
    I agree though -we do ensure that most students achieve well in Design and as a result are penalised by being given more late starters and drop outs from"harder" areas. % A-C never brilliant as a result of the students we are given- and the departments who argue that these students are struggling and so should change options- come out with great A-C%. Not that I am bitter honest... don't start me on class size where these studentst are dropping out of either..

4. My year 10 class has almost doubled as a result of drop outs and noobies. The average ability of the group is poor at best, and then we get asked why they didn't achieve a GCSE.

5. I have been teachingfor 30+ years from old fashioned Woodwork to Resistant Materials and Graphics and it has always been the same. I have just had four boys dumped into my Graphics GCSE group as they had got fed up having to get themselves to the local college to do Motor Vehicle. Nothing new there.

6. woodworm

woodworm New commenter

Interesting that this thread has been picked up by the TES team,but here we all are in 2011 and still no change.
    D&T is still looked on as a 'practical' subject which translates as 'only for pupils who are not academic. In my experience it has only been the pupils with good academic track record who produce the A to C grades, the remaining pupils who have been 'dumped' often gain D grade although their grade still either matches their target or scores well on value added
    All commnets made are still relevant and won't change untill D&T becomes recognised as the cross curricular support subject that provides opportunities for pupils to use their subject knowledge in real situations to problem solve.
    Strangley, the exact skill set that the top grade students achieve!