1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kids an who would have them?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by felltogroundinberkeleysquare, Aug 11, 2015.

1. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I remember those days of buying a fancy babygrow, and feeling quite proud of the thing that I had given birth to.

Today, my youngest has been signed for an illustration agency, so my job of mum is over, she made it, and the middle one too is off to be sponsored for yet another 3 year course at uni after his first degree, and we don't have to pay. The free spirit which is the eldest and has the music degree is a conundrum.

" Is this the real life or is it just fantasy". Fraid it is the real life. To all you prospective mums, "never expect the Spanish Inquisition", because that is what it feels like.

I probably ought to switch to Mumsnet, but I am too political for that,

I hear very little on TES about actual children and their lives which seems quite odd for a teaching website.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It isn't odd, fell. I don't like to give personal details about my children on here, that's all.

3. I oten feel I've been far too free with details of my family's doings.

4. tidal

tidal New commenter

Perhaps you are not reading all the threads FTG.

Just for fun I had a quick trawl back through the threads (just on Personal) and there are many many posts about what poster's kids are doing, what achievements they have managed and what problems they have gone through.

Surprisingly you have even contributed to a fair few of them in one form or another.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I've certainly posted about my children and grandchildren, fell. In fact, I have just seen a beautiful Facebook pic of my son in law, new grandson and my daughter's horse. Her favourite people!

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I think I've posted plenty about mine. And my grandchildren.

But they haven't done anything much that I can boast about (unlike a lot of the offspring of you guys) so I keep quieter than I would if they were doing something I felt more appropriate to 'persons of their station in life'.

In short, given their background and parentage, I expected rather more.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've mentioned mine quite a bit too but like to keep personal details to a minimum. One of my grandsons was on TV last year I could have boasted about that, maybe I did mention it, I can't remember.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Simply being signed to an illustration agency does not mean 'she's made it', sorry. You may find yourself subsidising her if she doesn't get any work, or if she does get some work and (as seems to be very common) it takes the agency over six months to pay her. I've been illustrating for years both freelance and through agencies, so even though it's nice to be signed, it doesn't guarantee lots of money. Or even regular work.

I see loads of people talking about their kids on here, by the way.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I dont mention my kids a lot as they are living independent lives.Well not the son, who is back after going through a divorce.

They seem to live ordinary lives so there is not to much to boast about.

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I feel like I mention my kids all the time - though to be fair they're still so little that their achievements are largely limited to 'managed to drink from a cup without spilling it' and 'slept for more than 4 hours overnight for the first time ever', which is not exactly interesting or noteworthy for anyone other than me! :)

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You don't, Ork.

You really don't mention them all the time. I don't think anyone here does.

I have simply never thought, "Oh, not her and her flipping' kids again," in relation to anyone on this forum.

12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Maybe I'm just paranoid about becoming one of those baby bores you see on fb who post pictures and videos of their offspring every 3 minutes. I mean, I try not to do that over there but it is hard because my baby is obviously the cutest little lump of chub that has ever existed and just about everything he does* is completely adorable (*unless it occurs between the hours of 11pm and 5am, in which case it's more exhausting than cute) :)

I agree though, I can't think of anyone who talks excessively about their kids, but maybe that's because its a job themed forum rather than a parent themed one.