1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

kidney transplant and dialysis

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by educmlythgoe, Jun 12, 2012.

1. I have had chronic kidney disease for nearly 9 years, but it is now at the stage where I am being prepared to go on the transplant list and will soon need dialysis. My headteacher and key collegues know about this, but now that dialysis / transplant arecoming soon, should parents/pupils of my next year's Y10 GCSE class know that their teacher is going to be ill some of the time / having to be absent at times because of dialysis / off work for 3-6 months at some point during their course / 'on-call' for a transplant at any time? I ask as it may influence how they feel about theirchildren doing the course (I am the only GCSE Geography teacher) and don't want any 'comeback' from parents for me or the school.

2. I have had chronic kidney disease for nearly 9 years, but it is now at the stage where I am being prepared to go on the transplant list and will soon need dialysis. My headteacher and key collegues know about this, but now that dialysis / transplant arecoming soon, should parents/pupils of my next year's Y10 GCSE class know that their teacher is going to be ill some of the time / having to be absent at times because of dialysis / off work for 3-6 months at some point during their course / 'on-call' for a transplant at any time? I ask as it may influence how they feel about theirchildren doing the course (I am the only GCSE Geography teacher) and don't want any 'comeback' from parents for me or the school.

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

No, because I presume the school will make other arrangements for when you're not there.
    Good luck with it all.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Exactly.
    Just carry on and don't give it another thought. Your health is what matters most.
    Good luck.

5. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Think about yourself, not the school! Your medical status is nothing to do with the parents at all. The school will arrange supply / temporary cover whilst you are off.

Hope you're feeling well soon!

6. I have recently returned to work after exactly the same thing. Once they realised what was entailed, my school rearranged the department's timetables so i no longer took exam classes as they didn't want it to affect the students results due to a lack of continuity in teaching. It might be worth you discussing the issue with your line manager so you know where the school stands incase a parent complains about cover staff etc. At any rate it will give you peace of mind over the issue.
    On a separate note if you are doing haemodialysis i suggest you find a lot of good comedy. When you're waiting on the list you will find the relief of a good laugh helps immensly. Dialysis makes you very tired. Something the doctors don't always admit to, and it can give you a headache.