1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Kidney stones

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, May 11, 2011.

1. I have a follow up appointment coming up after my spell in hospital with kidney stones. Whilst in hospital, they discovered I have quite a few of the little beggars. Does anyone know what usually happens in these cases? Do they advise treatment/surgery to take them out or do they usually advise to leave them alone? As yet, they dont know what type of stones I have, but by far the most common are apparently formed of calcium, which I think can only be removed by invasive means.

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

It depends a lot on where they are and where they're moving (or not moving) to. My husband eventually had every type of scan - normal x-ray, CT, MRI and kidney scan (like a backwards x-ray) in order to get a definitive picture of what was going on. He was scheduled to have lithiotripsy (shattering with sound waves so the little bits can get out) on a big stone but it moved into his ureter and got stuck so he had it removed with, I believe, a laser and a little collecting basket! Very red riding hood. It was just day surgery and he was quickly over it, though with some pain as the bits came through.
    It does seem to depend on the individual. I know someone else who's been monitored for years but had no treatment and another who had one bout, got rid of them and has been fine since. Our local hospital was very good at providing information and keeping a close eye on things but it really does depend on your circumstances. It's much better to get rid of any that are large as they can cause a blockage but yours might all be little and need no further treatment but just keeping an eye on. Good luck with your hospital visit.